How and where to pay

Direct Debit

The most cost and time effective way to pay is by Direct Debit. Instalments are taken from your bank or building society account on the 1st of each month. If you already pay by Direct Debit this will be shown on the front of the bill and your payments will continue to be taken from your bank or building society account.

For all other Direct Debit enquiries please contact the council on 01235 422422.


You can pay by visiting our Online Payments page. 

Over the phone

You can make payments using a debit or credit card by using our automated line 0345 646 0422 at any time of the day. This call will cost you 0.85 pence per minute plus your phone company’s access charge. 

Via PayPoint

You can pay your council invoice via PayPoint at any Post Office or retail outlet where you see the PayPoint sign. Remember to allow five to ten working days for your payment to reach us each month.

By post

Send a cheque made payable to Vale of White Horse District Council to:

135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB

Please enclose a payment slip and write your council tax account, or council invoice number on the back of the cheque. We do not normally issue receipts for cheque payments received in the post.

Please do not send cash through the post. Post-dated cheques are not acceptable.

At a bank

You can pay your invoice at most banks; however non-account holders may be charged a fee for this service. You must use a payment slip.

  • By internet banking
  • or standing order

All payments should quote your invoice or account number and the following details:

  • Council Tax - Barclays Bank account number 93835391, Sort Code 20-01-25 and your Council Tax account number
  • Business rates - Barclays Bank account number 33510492, Sort Code 20-01-25 and your business rates account number
  • Other council invoices - Barclays Bank account number 83001202, Sort Code 20-01-25 and your invoice number.
  • Temporary Rents and Hostel Accommodation - Barclays Bank account number 13960196, Sort Code 20-01-25 and your temporary rents and hostel accommodation reference number.

You also need to quote the correct council reference (depending on what you are paying) detailed above.  If you are paying for more than one account or property, please make separate payments for each individual account/property.   Failure to quote the correct reference or to make separate payments for individual accounts could lead to delays in allocating the payment once it has been received and may result in recovery documents being issued. 


Contact the finance team if you are experiencing any technical problems with the payment line or the online payments system.

For problems paying the amount due please contact the relevant department.  Contact details should be shown on the invoice.

Last reviewed: 06 - 12 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo