What we don't do

To the average person on the street, the structure of local government can be quite bewildering. In an ideal world, public services would be provided by one organisation, but the reality is much more complicated!

 There are various types of council: parish, town, district, borough, county, and unitary.

We are a district council and we provide a range of services for the people who live and work in Vale and those visiting the area.  We collect council tax and use what we collect to help pay for these services.

Around 80 per cent of the council tax collected goes to Oxfordshire County Council Oxfordshire County Council This link will take you to an external website... whose services include education, libraries, social services, roads, some waste disposal (such as recycling centres) and fire services. Parish and town councils receive council tax for services such as informal recreation areas, footpaths, allotments and bus shelters. The remainder goes to Thames Valley Police. Thames Valley Police This link will take you to an external website...

 County Councils are responsible for: 

  • education and schools
  • fire
  • highways and (potholes, tourism signs, gritting)
  • public rights of way
  • libraries, recreation, arts and museums
  • social services and youth service
  • strategic planning and some planning applications (mainly mineral extraction and waste disposal sites)
  • trading standards
  • transport
  • waste recycling centres

Parish and town councils are responsible for: 

  • bus shelters
  • footpaths
  • on-street parking
  • some public conveniences
  • allotments
  • recreation, arts and museums
  • burials

(Vale of White Horse District Council is not a burial authority and has no open cemeteries, only closed churchyards).

Last reviewed: 15 - 02 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo