Celebrating the Royal Wedding

The Royal Wedding on Saturday 19 May is a great chance to get together to hold a street party and celebrate with your neighbours.

We want everyone to have a great time and make their party go with a swing, so we've made it easier for you to get your party organised by bringing together the information you will need on this page.

Apply for a temporary road closure

The council organises road closure orders for events like street parties. To ensure we can approve your request for a road closure please complete and return the temporary road closure application form to temrdclosure@southandvale.gov.uk by 19 April 2018.

Apply for a temporary event notice - required for alcohol sales 

Most street parties will not need a licence. But, if you want to sell alcohol or provide entertainment like live music, a film or performers you will need to apply for a temporary event notice (TEN). This costs £21 and you can get the applications forms here.

If you need a TEN for an event to celebrate the Royal Wedding, we need to receive your application no later than 4 May 2018.

If you are planning to organise a large event (500+ people) please read our event management guide

Waste collections and cleaning up after your event

Please put any recycling or waste out in your normal green/grey bins for collection. You can check your collection dates here.


While not compulsory, we strongly advise organisers to ensure they have adequate insurance cover in place. This is in the event that they are held legally liable to pay compensation if an accident occurs or some third party's property is damaged.

Further information 

There’s more ideas and advice on holding a party at the Big Lunch website and on the Street Party website. This link will take you to an external website...

Visit our health section for advice on health and food safety and our noise section for keeping the peace!

Last reviewed: 12 - 03 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo