Club Premises Certificate

Clubs (such as the Royal British Legion, working men's, cricket or rugby clubs) are generally organisations where members join together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose and then combine to purchase alcohol in bulk for its members.

The clubs carry on activities from premises to which public access is restricted and alcohol is supplied other than for profit. For these reasons the 2003 Act preserves aspects of earlier alcohol licensing law which applied to "registered members clubs" and affords clubs special treatment outside the normal premises licence arrangements.

Clubs which meet specified criteria set out in the 2003 Act are known as "qualifying clubs" and the authority under which they may supply alcohol and conduct other "qualifying club activities" from their premises is a club premises certificate issued by the licensing authority.

The grant of a club premises certificate means that a club is entitled to certain benefits, which include the authority to supply alcohol to its members and sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence, and the absence of a requirement to specify a designated premises supervisor. There are also more limited rights of entry for the police and other authorised persons, as the premises are considered private and not generally open to the public.

Apply for club premises certificate

You need to submit the following documents:

You need to make ten copies of the application documents. The first with the fee should be sent to the Vale of White Horse District Council Licensing Unit, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Milton, OX14 4SB and one copy to each of the responsible authorities (97.8 KB) PDF . When applying for a club premises certificate, please also consult the Pool of conditions (244.4 KB) PDF . This gives details of conditions which you may wish to voluntarily attach to your licence application.

You must also advertise your application, both on the premises (109.5 KB) PDF and in the local newspaper (109.5 KB) PDF - see below for how to do this.

Apply to vary a club premises certificate

You must apply to the local authority that issued the club premises certificate if you want to change the hours or licensable activities for the club and submit the following documents:

You need to make nine copies of the application documents. The first with the fee should be sent to the Vale of White Horse District Council, Licensing Team (see address in Contacts section of this page) and one copy to each of the responsible authorities (97.8 KB) PDF .

You must also advertise your application, both on the premises (12.7 KB) PDF and in the local newspaper (12.7 KB) PDF .

How to advertise on the premises

The notice must be displayed on the premises (12.7 KB) PDF   for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to the relevant licensing authority.

The notice must be A4 or larger, pale blue with black text printed legibly in black ink or typed in black, in a font size equal to or larger than 16 point. In all cases the notice must be displayed prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the club premises.

The notice must contain a brief description of the proposed variation and include:

  • The name of the club
  • The postal address of the premises, if any, or if there is no postal address for the premises, a description of those premises sufficient to enable the location and extent of the premises to be identified.
  • The postal address and the web address where the register of the licensing authority is kept and where and when the record of the application may be inspected. The Licensing Team is based at the Vale of White Horse District Council (see address in Contacts section of this page). Application records can be viewed Monday to Friday 8.45am-5pm.
  • The date by which an interested party or responsible authority may make representations to the relevant licensing authority (within 28 days of the application being received by the licensing authority starting on the day after the day on which the application was received by the licensing authority).
  • That representations shall be made in writing.
  • That it is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence is up to £5,000.

How to advertise in the local newspaper

You must publish a notice (12.7 KB) PDF on at least one occasion during the period of ten working days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to the licensing authority. The advertisement must contain the same information as posted on the premises.

Reviews of existing licences

Occasionally things may go wrong once a licence has been granted. In the first case, we strongly advise you to talk to the manager of the premises first to try and arrange an informal resolution; we can help with this if asked.

If you have a complaint about any activities allowed under a licence, our licensing team will be pleased to help you try and resolve it. Some complaints may not be the Council’s responsibility to deal with, but we can advise you who would be the most appropriate agency in those cases. Interested parties can ask for a licence to be reviewed (86.0 KB) Word 97-2003 in this situation.

Reviews allow the Licensing Committee to look at the licence again. If necessary the Committee can change the licence conditions or, in extreme cases, can suspend or revoke all or part of the licence. Once the request has been made, the licensing authority must advertise it for 28 days to allow anyone else to also submit comments.

Last reviewed: 25 - 10 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo