Personal Licence

Applying for a personal licence

You need a personal licence to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol, for consumption on or off a premises.

Any individual can apply for a personal licence whether or not he/she is currently employed or has business interests associated with the use of the licence. The licensing of individuals separately from the licensing of premises permits the movement of Personal Licence holders from one premises to another, allowing greater flexibility.

To apply for a personal licence you must be aged 18 or over and apply to the council where you live. If you live in the Vale of White Horse District Council area, you will need to apply to Licensing (see contacts section of this page for address).

You must submit all of the following with your application:

The application fee of £37 must be submitted with the application and can be made by credit or debit card or by cheque made payable to Vale of White Horse District Council.

Making changes to a personal licence

To make amendments to a personal licence, write to the council which issued the licence detailing the amendments that are required. You must also enclose your existing licence and a fee of £10.50, plus a new passport size photograph if a new badge is required.

Personal Licence renewals

As of 1 April 2015 personal alcohol licences are deemed to be valid indefinitely and there is no requirement to renew your licence.

Please note that if you change your address you are still required to send us details of your new address, your current licence and enclose the fee of £10.50 along with a new passport size photograph for us to update and reissue your licence.

Last reviewed: 14 - 02 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo