Supporting vulnerable residents

Hate Crime

A Hate crime or incident is any incident, which constitutes a criminal offence, which is motivated by prejudice.  It can take many forms including physical assault, offensive graffiti, verbal abuse, offensive literature, criminal damage and abusive gestures.

South Oxfordshire is one of the safest areas in the country with only a small number of hate crimes committed each year. However, when a hate crime does occur, it can have a major impact on the life of the victim and the wider community.

Hate crime can be motivated due to someone’s prejudice against another person’s:

  • Race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origins
  • Religion
  • Gender or gender identity
  • Sexual orientation
  • Disability

It is really important to report hate crimes – victims have a right to be protected.

Anyone who is a victim of, or witness to, a hate crime is advised to contact the police (on 999, in an emergency, or 101, in a non emergency, 24 hours a day).

The South and Vale Community Safety Partnership have also launched Third Party Reporting Centres which allows people who are not comfortable approaching the police to report hate crime in confidence to a specially trained member of staff. There are 12 locations across South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse districts where reports can be made in person or over the phone. Various support for victims is available from Victims First service who can be contacted on 0300 1234 148 or . 

Reporting Centre Locations


Citizens’ Advice Bureau, Abbey House, OX14 3JE - 03444 111444

Sovereign, The Old Maltings, Vineyard, OX14 3UG


Citizens Advice Bureau, Dales, 9-15 High Street, OX11 8EQ - 03444 111444

Soha Housing, Royal Scot House, 99 Station Road, OX11 7NN - 01235 515900


The Pump House (CAB Outreach), 5 Market Place, SN7 7LH - 03444 111444


Citizens Advice Bureau, 32 Market Place, RG9 2AH - 03444 111444


Community Safety Team, South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, OX14 4SB - 01235 422590

RAF Benson

The Hive (CAB Outreach), RAF Benson, OX10 6AA - 03444 111444


Citizens Advice Bureau, Market House, North Street, OX9 3HH – 03444 111444


Citizens Advice Bureau, The Bullcroft, High Street, OX10 0BX - 03444 111444


Wantage Independent Advice Centre, 16 Market Place, OX12 8AE - 01235 765348


The Community Centre (CAB Outreach), The Old School House, Reading Road, RG8 0QY - 03444 111444

If you do not want to talk to the police or the Third Party Hate Crime Reporting Centres you can still report hate crime by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via their website at This link will take you to an external website... . You do not have to give your name and what you say is confidential. It is free to call.

Online Hate Crime

If you see content online such as pictures, videos or even music being used to incite hatred you can report hate crime GOV.UK This link will take you to an external website...

As with other forms of Hate Crime they can be reported to the police on 999 or 101 or via the Stop Hate Line on 0800 138 1625.

There may be instances when hateful content isn’t necessarily illegal, however you can still take action to see if it can be removed.

To remove online hate content you can:

1. Contact the website administrator. The majority of web sites have a ‘report this page’ option which allows you to make a complaint about the content.

2. If the content remains online you can report the content to the web hosting company. You will first need to find out who hosts the web page and can do so by using this free tool.

Domestic abuse

Be safe - be aware

Be safe - please be aware that it is possible for someone to find out what websites you have been visiting by looking through your internet history. You can find out how to clear the history on your computer to make it safer to browse the internet by visiting  Domestic Abuse, Reducing the Risk  This link will take you to an external website...

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is a pattern of abusive and controlling behaviour. Your partner, ex-partner or family member may want to control every aspect of your life from where you go, who you see and what you spend. It affects all types of gender, age, religious belief, sexual orientation, race and disability.


The government defines domestic violence as "Any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality".

Support and advice

Asking for support and advice is often a very difficult thing to do if you are feeling isolated or low in yourself. You may not even feel that you deserve to have support.

It is important to know that there are services out there that can provide advice at the right level for you, your children, family and friends.

Often the first step to breaking the cycle of abuse is sharing your problem with another person whether that is through a helpline, outreach worker or a support group

One in ten lives are being affected by domestic abuse; if that includes you or someone you know, get help and support by visiting the Oxfordshire reducing the risk website This link will take you to an external website... .

If you would like to speak to someone in confidence, you can call Oxfordshire domestic abuse helpline on 0800 731 0055.

There is also a national helpline which operates 24 hours a day, just dial 0808 2000 247.

Domestic Homicide Reviews (DHR)

Domestic Homicide Reviews are commissioned by local Community Safety Partnerships in response to a death involving domestic violence or abuse. They are subject to the guidance issued by the Home Office under Section 9 of the Domestic Violence Crime & Victims Act 2004.

The purpose of a DHR is for professionals and agencies involved, such as the police, councils and social services and other community based organisations to understand and learn from the circumstances that led to the death of a family member.  Reviews will identify how to improve responses to victims of domestic violence and prevent these tragedies.

Published reviews can be found in the downloads section of this page.

Protecting Vulnerable Adults and Children

Everyone has a responsibility to safeguard children and vulnerable adults, by promoting welfare and protecting from harm.

Are you worried about a Vulnerable Adult or Child? 

If you have any concerns that a child, young person or vulnerable adult may be at risk of harm, neglect or abuse you should pass on these concerns to the Oxfordshire Children and Young People Safeguarding Board or Oxfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board

What is Child Sexual Exploitation? 

Official definition of Child Sexual Exploitation

Sexual exploitation of children and young people under 18 involves exploitative situations, contexts and relationships where the young person (or third person/s) receive ‘something’ (e.g. food, accommodation, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, affection, gifts, money) as a result of them performing and/or another or others performing on them, sexual activities. 

Child Sexual Exploitation can occur through the use of technology without the child’s immediate recognition; for example being persuaded to post images on the internet/ mobile phones without immediate payment or gain.  In all cases, those exploiting the child/ young person have power over them by virtue of their age/ gender/ intellect/ physical strength/ economic situation or other resources.  Violence, coercion and intimidation are common, involvement in exploitative relationships being characterised in the main by the child or young person’s limited availability of choice as a result of their social, economic or emotional vulnerability.  The NSPCC has has more information on Child Sexual Exploitation.

What to look out for?

Do they stay out overnight?

  • Have they been missing from home?
  • Do they skip school?
  • Have they come home with money, clothes, jewellery or a mobile phone they can’t account for?
  • Do they have an older boyfriend or girlfriend you are concerned about?
  • Are you worried they are using drugs or alcohol?
  • Have they lost contact with family and friends of their own age?
  • Do they lack self-esteem?
  • Are they secretive about where they go and who they see?
  • Do they chat to people online they have never met?
  • Are you worried about unsafe sexual behaviour?

You are not on your own, please talk to someone, contact the Kingfisher Team on 01865 335276

If you think someone is at immediate risk call 999. 

Modern Slavery

If you see something, say something

Modern slavery probably isn't at the forefront of your mind given our relatively idyllic location here in rural Oxfordshire, but the UK is in the top five countries that modern slavery victims end up in, so it may be a lot closer than you think.

It exists in many different forms - prostitution is the one people are most familiar with, but victims are also exploited through fear and coercion into unpaid labour, domestic work and even to commit crimes.
If you know someone who might be a victim, report your concerns by calling the free helpline 0800 0121 700.

Safe Places

Our Community Safety team are working with Thames Valley Police, Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service, Oxfordshire Family Support Network and local communities to launch the nationally recognised 'Safe Places' scheme across South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse.

The Safe Places Scheme aims to help vulnerable people feel confident and safe whilst out and about.  If someone is feeling lost, anxious, confused, bullied, abused or harassed they can go to a Safe Place.

Mears Home Improvement Services

The South and Vale Community Safety Partnership fund a small repairs scheme for elderly and vulnerable residents to help prevent repeat incidents of domestic burglary. For further information, visit the Mears Home Improvement website This link will take you to an external website... or call 01235 514510.

Cyber Crime

The internet is one of life’s great inventions, having transformed the way we communicate, do business or seek entertainment.  Unfortunately, as you  will regularly see in the news, it can also be used for less desirable means such as abusing others, committing fraud, planting viruses or carrying out hacking.

 For advice about how to stay safe from cyber crime please visit the Government’s Cyber Street website

 If you have been a victim of online fraud you can report it to the UK’s national fraud reporting centre Action Fraud online or telephone 0300 123 2040. You will be given a crime reference number and your case will be referred on to the police force that investigates fraud.

 If you are in immediate danger always dial 999. 

How to avoid being a victim of bogus websites

Fraudsters have created a high specification website template advertising flat screen televisions for sale which are below market value and do not exist. Payment is being requested via bank transfer and will offer no protection to the consumer when the television does not arrive.
Protect yourself:

  • Payments made via bank transfer are not protected should you not receive the item.
  • Always make payment via a credit card or PayPal where you have some avenue of recompense should you not receive your product.
  • Conduct some online research on the website, company name and business address to identify any poor feedback or irregularities.
  • Check the authenticity of websites before making any purchases. A ”who is” search on the website will identify when the website has been created, so be wary of newly formed domains. This search can be conducted using the following website -
  • If the item advertised seems too good to be true, it probably is

Last reviewed: 17 - 12 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo