Our equality and diversity
What are the council's plans to increase access to its services?
Corporate Equality Policy
The Vale has produced a joint policy with South Oxfordshire District Council to reflect the joint working arrangements. The policy sets out the councils’ commitment to ensuring equality considerations are included in everything we do; it also helps to demonstrate how we will meet our duties under the Equality Act 2010.
Corporate Equality Objectives
The council has set the following equality objectives in line with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 and to support the delivery of the councils’ Corporate Plan priorities. We have set a number of measures that we will report against annually along with detail about actions we have achieved to demonstrate how the councils’ are meeting the general duties in the Equality Act.
The objectives will support the delivery of the councils’ overall equality vision
‘Ensure the provision of fair and accessible services and employment opportunities that meet the needs of everyone, and positively promote inclusion'
- Continue to improve physical access to council owned or leased buildings or land.
- Ensure new projects, policies or strategies, changes to services, and communication take account of the needs of all users.
- Increase our understanding of the communities we serve, through consultation, engagement and using existing evidence (e.g. census data) to inform the decisions we make.
- Continue to monitor the impact of our employment policies and practices to ensure all groups have access to employment opportunities.
- Support communities to deliver better outcomes for disadvantaged groups and encourage community cohesion.
- Seek to improve access to major new developments and town centres in South Oxfordshire and the Vale for people with disabilities, carers and older people.
Annual review of our equalities work 2016/17
Each year we produce an annual progress report relating to our equality work program, this report helps to demonstrate how the council is meeting the general duties of the Equality Act 2010. You can view or download our and . You can also view the of the work we have been doing with young people, including work . If you have any comments or questions on the progress we have made, ask the equalities officer (see contacts section of this page).
Translation and interpretation policy
Last reviewed: 12 - 02 - 2018