Festival and Event Grants
Please read the rest of this page before starting an application.
Our festival and event scheme exists to fund community events or festivals taking place within the next 12 months. We especially like to see free events that will bring the community together.
Click here to start a new application or Click here to view an existing application (including to complete a monitoring or claim form)
Opening and closing dates
We are accepting applications until noon on Thursday 28 February 2019, unless we allocate all our budget before then.
We usually make our decisions within six weeks of submission and cannot consider applications for events that will take place before we make our decision.
Who can apply and how often?
- non-profit community organisations excluding town and parish councils (you must have a constitution and bank account in the name of the organisation)
- we’ll only fund an event once in any financial year, but organisations can apply for different events in the same year
- we’ll only consider funding a repetitive event a maximum of three times, and any grant will be less than in the previous year (e.g. your annual village fete).
Please note to be eligible for the scheme the following documents must be available upon request:
- a constitution or memorandum and Articles of Association
- a detailed breakdown of the events expenditure and forecasted income
- the previous three months bank statements in the name of the organisation
- confirm you have investigated what licenses/permissions you may need to run this event, this could be an event license, landlord permission etc. If any are required provide details of what these are and when they will be secured. (visit our pages on events licencing or contact our licensing team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information).
We also recommend you check out our event-management guide and register your event with our Safety Advisory Group, which is a forum to provide advice and guidance to event organisers and other agencies before applying.
Who can’t apply?
- town and parish councils
- public sector bodies, like Oxfordshire County Council or health services including schools, academies and free schools
- private businesses and individuals
How much is available and what for?
Our budget for 2018/19 is £10,000
You can request up to 75 per cent of your event's cost, capped to £1,000. The minimum request for this scheme is £250.
The scheme can fund most costs directly relating to community events (revenue or capital) run by non-profit organisations, including staff costs, hire fees, printing costs and equipment purchases. We will not fund towards:
- the purchase of alcohol
- raffle prizes
- competitions (including judges and prizes)
What kind of events/festivals do we fund?
We want to fund community events or festivals taking place within the next 12 months that have substantial local support and high numbers of beneficiaries attending. Events must be open to everyone, not a select or specific group, and allow at least 100 people to attend.
We will prioritise applications for free events where the reason for running the event is bringing the local community together. However, you can raise money at the event but we’d prefer it is for your own use rather than donating to third parties. If you are raising money for third parties you'll have to:
- retain enough to run the event again before making any donations (unless it is a one-off event)
- confirm you will not donate funds to any private individuals or businesses
- confirm which not-for-profit organisation(s) you'll donate to and have their written permission to raise money for them.
We need confirmation of which organisations you intend donating to in order to confirm if the council is happy to support them by proxy.
The council is committed to promoting equality and diversity and welcomes applications from organisations representing minority or vulnerable groups. We encourage all applicants to make their event as inclusive and accessible to all as possible.
You can drop us an email at email@example.com or call us on 01235 422405 if you have any questions about the scheme and whether your event is eligible.
Last reviewed: 08 - 08 - 2018