How we check each benefit claim

We must verify all of the details you provide for your claim. This verification process is designed to prevent benefit fraud and ensure that only people who are entitled to help receive benefits.

We will need to see proof of what you have stated on your claim form. This could include:

  • Wage slips covering the last five weeks or two months
  • Pension books
  • Rent books
  • Tenancy agreements
  • Savings books.

All proof must be original documents and not photocopies. This is because a copy can be amended.

You will also need to provide proof of your identity and your National Insurance Number. This can be any document with your National Insurance Number on it. A driving licence, passport or utility bill can all be used as proof of your address.  If you are not sure what to provide please ask for advice.

We do not recommend sending valuable documents such as pension books, passports or savings certificates in the post unless you use recorded or special delivery. If possible bring your original documents to our offices at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park.

We will take a copy of your documents and return the originals to you as quickly as possible. This will usually be the same day that we receive them.

As part of our checks we may visit you at the property you are claiming for. We will contact you to let you know when a visit is due. The officer who visits will carry identification with them. You should ask to see this and be satisfied the visitor is an employee of the council before you let them into your home.

Last reviewed: 20 - 07 - 2015

Was this page helpful?YesNo