Council Tax discounts and exemptions

There are some circumstances in which your Council Tax bill may be reduced, for example if there is only one adult living in the house; if the house has features that are essential to the well-being of a person with a disability who lives there, or if the house is a second home.

There are also some buildings that are exempt from Council Tax. Please note that long term unoccupied and unfurnished properties are subject to a full Council Tax bill.

To check if you qualify for a discount, please see the following pages:

You can apply for a discount online This link will take you to an external website... or by printing off the relevant form from application forms, then complete and send it to the council offices.

If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must inform the council tax department should your circumstances change, that may affect your entitlement to the discount/exemption, within 21 days. Failure to do this is a criminal offence and could lead to prosecution or a financial penalty being imposed.

How to appeal against your Council Tax bill

You can make an appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example:

  • Because you are not the resident or owner
  • Because your property is exempt
  • Or if your billing authority has made a mistake in calculating your bill.

Please note that making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of any Council Tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.

If you wish to appeal on these grounds or you have any queries, please see Council Tax liability and grounds for appeal.

Last reviewed: 18 - 05 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo