Noise and nuisance

Report a Problem - noise and nuisance

Information and advice on noise and nuisance investigations

If you wish to make a formal complaint to the council about a noise, nuisance or pollution issue, we will need the following information:

  • your address and contact details (email and telephone number)
  • the address of where the problem is allegedly coming from
  • the nature of the complaint in as much detail as possible (i.e. times the problems occur, etc.)
  • a brief description of how the problem is affecting you (i.e. cannot sleep)
  • any additional information you feel is relevant to the case.

Before making a complaint, we recommend reading our notes on how we investigate nuisance complaints.  (53.6 KB) PDF

In order for us to investigate your case, we usually require the person making the complaint to fill out diary sheets initially for a couple of weeks.  If you do not return the completed diary sheets to the council within the specified timescales, the complaint will be closed.  Note also that making a formal complaint could result in you having to attend court to give evidence.

You can make a formal complaint through the following means:

If you complaint is urgent and outside our normal office hours please click here to see details on out of hours reporting.

What happens next?

The Environmental Protection Team aims to acknowledge receipt of requests for service, advising of our procedures for dealing them within 3 working days.  For urgent situations (such as audible alarms, housing safety or dark smoke etc) we aim to make contact with customers as soon as possible and within 24 hours.  All council staff carry photo ID and are happy to be asked for it and to explain the reason for their visit.

Like our service?

We welcome your comments about the services we provide.  If you have any comments, good or bad please do get in touch.  Contact details are to the right hand side of this page.

Last reviewed: 24 - 03 - 2015

Was this page helpful?YesNo