Burglar and car alarms

Home alarms

In certain circumstances, if we cannot contact or locate the owner of the property where an alarm is sounding, we can obtain a warrant and force entry to the premise to silence the device, and then re-charge the owner the cost of the work to silence the alarm.

An alarm is sounding and causing me a disturbance. What can I do?

  • If you suspect a false entry to the property contact the police immediately.
  • Talk to neighbours to see if there are any key-holders and when the owners are expected to return.
  • If the alarm continues after 20 minutes then contact Environmental Protection

Car alarms

What actions will we take?

If the alarm is still sounding (they usually reset after sounding for 20 minutes) we will visit and assess whether or not the noise is a statutory nuisance.  If we find that the noise is a 'statutory nuisance' we will serve an abatement notice. This notice will give the owner of the car a reasonable period of time to stop the noise nuisance.

If the owner hasn’t returned to the vehicle and deactivated the alarm, we will contact a garage and arrange for them to deactivate the alarm. If the alarm cannot be deactivated in a way that leaves the car secure the garage will tow the car to a pound. We will inform the police of the vehicle's whereabouts.

We will charge the owner for the time and money spent deactivating the car alarm. 

Report a problem online

Details about how we deal with complaints can be found on this page.  You can report a problem by using our online form or contacting Environmental Protection (see contacts section of this page).

Last reviewed: 30 - 06 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo