How can I make a noise complaint about fireworks?

The Police and Trading Standards are responsible for safety, controls and sale of fireworks.  However, if you have a problem with noise, for example someone is persistently letting off fireworks on their property, then you can contact Environmental protection.

Details about how we deal with complaints can be found on this page.  You can report a problem by using our online report form or contacting Environmental protection (see contacts section of this page).

What to do if you want to hold a fireworks display?

  • Inform your neighbours of your plans in advance this will prevent any unnecessary suffering to themselves or if they have pets. Or better still invite them along.
  • Aim to have the display finished by 23.00, if the celebration falls on a week night consider delaying the display until the weekend this is preferable in built up areas.
  • Select the fireworks with care, try to include a mix of fireworks that are not considered too noisy such as Catherine wheels and sparklers.
  • If a neighbour complains to you about the noise, be considerate and come to an agreement to finish the display shortly.
  • After your display, clear up all the spent fireworks and dispose of safely.

GOV.UK have published some useful Advice for communities holding bonfires and fireworks displays. GOV.UK This link will take you to an external website...

Advice about fireworks and their use

If you are thinking of using fireworks, you need to be aware that:

  • the Fireworks Act prevents certain fireworks from being let off at night (between 23:00 and 07:00).

An exception to this is a 'permitted' fireworks night:

  • Chinese New Year (23.00-01.00)
  • Bonfire Night (23.00-0.00)
  • Diwali (23.00-01.00)
  • New Years Eve (23.00-01.00)

Other restrictions on using fireworks include:

  • it is illegal for anyone under the age of eighteen to possess adult fireworks in a public place.
  • only traders licensed by Trading Standards may sell fireworks all year round. Only certain times of the year are traders allowed to sell fireworks without a licence, normally only a few weeks either side of the permitted events
  • the supply, purchase and possession of fireworks whose noise level exceeds 120dB is prohibited by the fire regulations.

Fireworks Regulations 2004

Firework sales have increased considerably over recent years, and this has lead to an increase in the amount of complaints that have been made due to the noise nuisance, safety and stress that fireworks cause both to people and animals. This has led to the Fireworks Act being passed.

Last reviewed: 30 - 06 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo