Mortgage advice

If you're struggling to meet your mortgage instalments there are agencies that can help. Civil Legal Advice (CLA), 0345 345 4 345, can help with assessing whether you qualify for legal aid. They can also help find both legal aid funded and other face-to-face debt advice.

These helpline services can advise people in debt, including those who don’t qualify for legal aid:

Money Advice Service: 0300 500 5000

National Debtline: 0808 808 4000

StepChange Debt Charity: 0800 138 1111

Debt Advice Foundation: 0800 043 4050

If the repossession of your property follows a redundancy or any other significant change in circumstances, you may be entitled to apply for benefits or credits to help you. There are many independent advice centres which can offer help:

Citizens Advice Bureau:


If you've not already done so, you could consider selling your house through an estate agent, rather than allowing it to be repossessed, or enquiring whether your Lender will do an assisted sale.

If you think that your house will be repossessed, and you don't have arrangements in place for alternative accommodation, we would strongly recommend that you contact the Housing Advice Team on 01235 422422.

Last reviewed: 24 - 05 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo