Homeless or at risk
We want to prevent you becoming homeless in the first instance so it's important you contact the housing team for advice on your housing situation. A housing officer will provide advice and support and where possible prevent you from losing your home.
Our homelessness service is an emergency service, and we have a duty to only help those people who meet strict criteria.
If you're under 18 and having serious problems at home which make it dangerous or impossible to stay there, contact the Childrens and Family team through Social Services on 01865 897987.
If you're a , contact Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse service on 0800 731 0055, to find a refuge call 0808 2000 246 for advice; male victims should contact the Men's Advice Line. provides further information and advice.
Please click on any of the following links to download an advice leaflet:
Advice for those not eligible for homeless service?
- stay with friends or family and save for a deposit for privately rented housing
- contact your local JobCentrePlus or look at to check you're getting all the benefits you're entitled to
- if you're struggling with debt, speak to a debt adviser
- apply to the Housing Register, though it can take a long time to access social housing, depending on your circumstances
- if you're sleeping rough - or you're concerned about someone who is - contact , who provide access to local services and support
Where else can I find advice?
Duty to refer
We have a duty to prevent and relieve homelessness. Under the Homeless Reduction Act 2017 some Public Agencies have a duty to refer households they believe are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Public Agencies include:
- young offender institutions
- secure training centres
- secure colleges
- youth offending teams
- probation services (including community rehabilitation companies)
- Jobcentre’s in England
- social service authorities (both adult and children’s)
- emergency departments
- urgent treatment centres
- hospitals in their function of providing inpatient care
- Secretary of State for defence in relation to members of the regular armed forces
Last reviewed: 06 - 06 - 2019