Town and parish council planning
This section is designed to help Town and Parish Councils with issues regarding planning.
We hope that the information helps you in your role as a town or parish councillor and answers some of your most frequently asked questions.
See our News Page for the latest information. This includes any changes to regulations or fees for both Planning and Building Control.
We will include updates to the planning system, forthcoming training events and our service in the bi-monthly Vale News publication. Also see the downloads section for recent presentations.
The Planning Advisory Service (PAS) published a draft guide for ward councillors on neighbourhood planning. This guide is to help you understand the basics of neighbourhood planning and to help you think about what this means for your community and your role as a councillor.
The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) produced an Introduction to Neighbourhood planning (click the link below):
We provide guidance notes for developing neighbourhood plans.
- Application Details. If you would like information on a particular planning application, just type the reference number in the search box at the top right-hand corner of any page on our website and it will take you to the relevant page. Alternatively, visit the section, where you can search by planning reference number, address or date. You can also search using our interactive map.
- Planning Committee. For information regarding committee dates/agendas please see our Planning Committee details page.
- Material Considerations. We are often asked, 'what is a material planning consideration?' Please see the download which answers this question for you (downloads section of this page).
- Use Classes. If for example, you would like to know what is a B1 or C3 use, you can refer to the Planning Portal where you will find a complete .
- Email alerts. If you would like us to notify you of planning applications in your local area, please sign up to our email alert system. Currently, this is based on a postcode search, but we are hoping to expand this soon.
Major planning applications
In connection with significant major developments, we will send, in addition to your consultation notification, a separate letter requesting your views on potential S106 contributions to be secured by the district council. We will need justified and costed proposals that have community support. There are legal tests that we must comply with, that are set out in the letter.
We are developing a protocol to involve you, recognised local bodies, the developer, ward councillors, the planning committee and officers in a structured meeting at the pre-application stage or during the processing of the application.
In October 2008 and May 2013, the Government introduced a range of measures to reduce the need for planning applications including some householder development. See our page on permitted development or the document in our downloads section for more information.
Is there anything missing or if you have any suggestions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last reviewed: 15 - 02 - 2016