Section 106

Consultation on Developer Contributions Supplementary Planning Document

Alongside a separate consultation on our updated CIL documents, we recently consulted on our draft Developer Contributions Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).

The SPD identifies how the Council will use its influence as the Local Planning Authority to ensure new development contributes to the necessary infrastructure requirements to mitigate against the impact of new development.  

It sets out the approach towards seeking planning obligations through Section 106, which will take into account the Council’s Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) draft charging schedule. The documents are available to download below: 

The consultation ran for a six week period from Thursday 15 December 2016 to Thursday 26 January 2017. We are currently reviewing the feedback received ahead of updating the SPD and proceeding to formal adoption. 

Section 106 agreements - background

Section 106 (S106) agreements are our current means of securing infrastructure to support development.  When a developer makes a planning application, they have to consider the local infrastructure requirements.  We draw up an S106 agreement before we grant planning permission, so the developer is legally bound to delivery specific infrastructure. Infrastructure can be delivered in kind, or payments can be made to support new facilities. 

The contributions we secure will only be paid if a planning permission is implemented.  The S106 agreement sets out at what stage during development the payments will be made.  The agreement also sets what the money is to be spent on, and when it needs to be spent by. We will also be seeking financial contributions for street naming and numbering, the provision of recycle bins and monitoring costs. More information can be found here (80.5 KB) PDF .

Further guidance on planning obligations and their use is available as part of the National Planning Policy Framework, Planning Practice Guidance.

Existing Agreements

Section 106 agreements for developments already granted planning permission are available to view online.  These can be found by searching our S106 Register.

Developers – Find out how to make a S106 payment

Community – Find out how to apply for S106 funding

Parish and Town Councils

We are committed to working with town and parish councils to deliver local projects and are introducing new processes to pass on contributions to town and parish councils to help fund agreed local infrastructure.

We have created a Guide to S106 for Town and Parish Councils (82.5 KB) PDF which provides more information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Last reviewed: 01 - 03 - 2017

Was this page helpful?YesNo