NEW! We can now collect cooking oil placed in a plastic bottle (no bigger than 1 litre) from inside your food waste caddy. We will only collect from plastic bottles and will not accept oil in glass bottles/jars or any other container.
The small green food recycling bin
Your food is collected every week. Use your small kitchen bin to collect your food scraps each day and then transfer them into the large food recycling bin which we'll empty each week.
What can go in your food recycling bin?
All your raw and cooked food waste such as leftovers and spoilt food, and including:
- meat and fish - raw and cooked including bones
- all dairy products such as cheese and eggs
- raw and cooked vegetables and fruit
- bread, cakes and pastries
- rice, pasta and beans
- uneaten food from your plates and dishes
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- cooking oil, lard and fats (can be placed in a plastic bottle inside the caddy)
- old cut flowers
What cannot go in your food recycling bin?
- Please don't put in any food packaging into the caddy, unless its being used as a liner e.g salad bag, bread bag or cereal packet. For example, if you are removing out of date food from your fridge, please remove the bacon from its packet, or the fruit from its punnet. We do not accept compostable packaging in the food waste caddy.
Need a new bin?
If your large food bin goes missing or is damaged after you've put it out for collection please contact Biffa using the details in the contact section of this page so they can arrange for it to be replaced.
We can't replace the smaller bin that you keep in the kitchen. These are available from most high-street hardware stores, garden centres and supermarkets.
Lining your food recycling bin
Food waste for recycling can be put into your food waste bin loose, wrapped in a couple of sheets of newspaper, or in plastic (e.g carrier bags, pedal bin liners, bread bags) or compostable liners. Please do not use black bags.
Last reviewed: 19 - 11 - 2018