Unwanted vehicles

Update 28 April: Unwanted vehicle disposal services have been suspended until further notice. This is to allow our teams to prioritise providing key services during the coronavirus outbreak. Thank you for your understanding. 

For more information on changes to our services due to the coronavirus situation please see our dedicated webpage here.

If you want the council to dispose of an unwanted vehicle

The council will arrange for unwanted vehicles (cars, vans and motorcycles) to be collected and disposed of for a charge of £80 per vehicle. This service is available for residents of the Vale of White Horse only and where the vehicle is located in the Vale.

How can I arrange a collection?

Please complete the form (available from the Downloads section of this page), sign it and return it with your payment and registration document to the Waste Team (see Contacts section of this page for details).

Please note, the vehicle must be accessible for collection.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to fill in the registration document myself?

Please complete Section 9 and return it to the DVLA.  Send the rest of the document in with the payment, making sure section 8 is signed.  The council will complete section 6 and send the form onto the DVLA.

Do I have to be at home during the collection?


Do I have to send you the keys?


I haven't got the registration document - does this matter?

In this case you must provide another proof of identity in the form of:

  • a copy of your passport (page with photograph) or
  • a copy of your driving licence or
  • a copy of a utility bill less than six months old.

I want to get rid of this on behalf of my son/daughter/friend does this matter?

No.  The form asks you to sign confirming that you are the owner, or authorised to act on behalf of the owner.

Once we receive the completed form, payment and other documentation, we will arrange with Thames Valley Police to remove the vehicle, usually within a week.  The removal contractor will contact the owner in advance if requested on the form to do this.

Once disposed of, Thames Valley Police will advise DVLA that it has been destroyed, and the council will also complete and return the registration document to DVLA.

Last reviewed: 28 - 04 - 2020

Was this page helpful?YesNo