Reporting a problem

How to report a health and safety problem, including an accident at work

If you have a complaint about any workplace, whether as an employee or a member of the public, you can discuss it with the food and safety team (see contact details on this page) or by using our online form.

If it relates to a matter that is covered by health and safety law we will decide if it needs to be investigated.

How to report an injury or accident

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations Act 1995 (RIDDOR) require employers, the self-employed and anyone in charge of a premises to report certain types of injury, occupational ill health and dangerous occurrences to their enforcing authority.  To find out which authority is responsible for your business see Which workplaces does the council have enforcement responsibility for?

What needs to be reported?

You must report:

  • deaths
  • major injuries
  • over-7 day injuries - where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days
  • injuries to members of the public or people not at work, where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital
  • some work-related diseases
  • some dangerous occurrences - a near miss, where something happens that does not result in an injury but could have done
  • gas safe registered gas fitters must also report dangerous gas fittings they find, and gas conveyors/suppliers must report some flammable gas incidents.

Deaths, major injuries and dangerous occurrences must be notified without delay, however only the following need to be reported out of normal hours:

  • fatal accidents at work
  • accidents where several workers have been seriously injured
  • accidents resulting in serious injury to a member of the public
  • accidents and incidents causing major disruption, such as evacuation or people, closure of roads, large numbers of people going to hospital etc.

Over seven day injuries must be reported within fifteen days.

Incident contact centre

The reporting of work related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences has been made easier with the introduction of the Incident Contact Centre (ICC).  Contacting the centre means you will no longer need to be concerned about which office or enforcing authority you should report to. It is possible to report incidents directly to the ICC in the following ways:

Last reviewed: 30 - 06 - 2016

Was this page helpful?YesNo