How to make a Representation

Representations may be made to applications for new premises licences, variations to existing premises licences and to provisional statements.

Representations can only be made by responsible authorities and interested parties. The designated responsible authorities are:

  • Licensing authority (Vale of White Horse District Council)
  • Fire and Rescue
  • Police
  • Planning (Vale of White Horse District Council)
  • Gambling Commission
  • Noise pollution (Vale of White Horse District Council)
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Safeguarding Children Board

Interested parties are designated as:

  • A person that lives sufficiently close to the premises to be likely to be affected by the authorised activities.
  • A person that has business interests that might be affected by the authorised activities, or
  • A person who represents people or persons in either of the above two groups.

The statutory representation period begins on the day a valid application is received by the Licensing Authority and lasts for 28 days. During this time there must be at least one notice published in a local newspaper and a notice displayed on site for 28 days. Any representations must be made in writing and received during the representation period. The Licensing Authority must then determine whether or not the representation is admissible.

The only representations that are likely to be relevant are those that relate to the licensing objectives, or that raise issues under the licensing policy statement or the Gambling Commission’s guidance/code of practice.

Representations may not be made anonymously. Any representations that are received will be included in a report to the hearings panel. This report will be a public document, and will be circulated to the parties involved prior to the hearing.

Any petitions received will be treated as one representation from the person sending it in, supported by the other signatories. Petitions will not be treated as individual representations from everyone who has signed.

A hearing must then be held to determine the outcome of the application.

Last reviewed: 29 - 01 - 2015

Was this page helpful?YesNo