Skip to content

Report suspected unauthorised development


I wish to report a suspected unauthorised development and by completing and submitting my form, I confirm that I have read and understood the guidance provided. 

Please read the guidance notes and our Enforcement Statement here.

How to report a suspected unauthorised development online

Please complete our online form to report an activity you believe is taking place without planning permission.  This could be:

  • building work;
  • a change of use of an existing building or land ;
  • works to a listed building;
  • the display of an advertisement; or
  • an activity in breach of a planning condition.

Where possible please include as much information you can, including photographs to support your report.

Please note if your concern relates to a high hedge you will need to use a different form. More information can be found on our high hedges page.

Anonymous complaints

We do not investigate anonymous complaints. If you are concerned about intimidation or threats you may wish to discuss this to your District Councillor, Parish or Town Council who can report it on your behalf. For more information please read our Enforcement Statement.

What happens next?

Our Enforcement Investigation Process Flowchart sets out the investigation process.

We aim to acknowledge all reports of alleged breaches of planning control within two working days of receipt.

We aim to visit all sites in accordance with our prioritisation scheme, please read our Enforcement Statement page 6 for the timescales.

Investigations we do not pursue

Sometimes we do not proceed with investigations, but we will tell you the reasons why.  We will also tell you how you can challenge this decision if you disagree.

Examples of where we do not pursue an investigation are:

  • The concern is outside our control.
  • The concern is a matter for another council service or organisation to deal with (we will pass this on for you).
  • The concern appears frivolous or vexatious.
  • The development does not require planning permission.
  • There is no evidence that the development has taken place.

Personal information

All information that the council receives and retains is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2003 and the Data Protection Act 1998.  This means that information other than personal data may be available for public inspection.

Generally, no information is available during an investigation, but when the case is closed, it can be made available to the public.  However, the council never knowingly releases personal data.

Reports made by an elected organisation or representative (town/parish council) will be made available.

Contact us - Planning enforcement

01235 422600
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Vale of White Horse District Council
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE