Skip to content
Apply for a taxi driver’s licence

Apply for a taxi driver’s licence

Here are the steps you need to follow to apply to become a taxi driver. They usually happen in this order.


Read the Joint taxi licensing policy

All information relating to hackney carriage or private hire licensing in the district is available in our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy. Please ensure you read this before you start your application. You should also refer to this guidance on the suitability of applicants and licence holders.

Book a knowledge test

You can book a knowledge test by calling us on 01235 422556.

A non-refundable fee of is payable at the time of booking. Please see our fees and charges list for details.

We’ll then email you to confirm when your test will take place; the email will contain details about the test and what you should bring with you, so please read it carefully.

Tests usually take place at our offices at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, OX14 4SB.

It will take approximately one hour.

We recommend you aim to arrive at least 15 minutes before the test starts as you won’t be allowed into the test if you are late.  If you arrive late or fail to attend, you will have to pay a further fee to book onto another test.

Prepare for your knowledge test

The test is broken down into three sections:

  • Licensing legislation and conditions, taxi policy and safeguarding
  • Highway code
  • Geography of the district

To prepare for your knowledge test we would suggest that you read our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy and this Safeguarding Guidance.

You must be familiar with the geography of the area.

Get a medical examination

You need to book a medical examination with your GP.  A fee will be payable for this examination which would be paid directly to the doctor’s surgery.

Before going to the medical examination, you will need to print out the medical examination report form and take it with you to your appointment.

You will then need to ask the doctor to complete it for you.

Before leaving the appointment, please check the doctor has completed the entire form, including the front sheet. We often reject medicals due to them being incomplete.

If you are over 45 years of age you will need to have a medical examination every five years.  If you are over 65, or an insulin diabetic, then you will need to have an examination every year. Insulin dependent diabetics are also required to have an annual consultant assessment in accordance with DVLA Group 2 guidelines – for more details please see this statement and guidance for insulin-dependent diabetics.

Complete the application forms

Once you have passed the knowledge test, please download and complete the hackney carriage and private hire driver’s licence application form.

For details on how we use data relating to licence holders and applicants, please see our privacy notice for licence holders and applicants.

Make an appointment with a Licensing officer to check through your documents

Please call us on 01235 422556 to book your appointment. All appointments take place at our offices at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, OX14 4SB. You must bring the following with you (originals, not copies):

  • A completed driver application form
  • The correct fee
  • Two passport size photos
  • A full UK/EU/EEA driving licence (must be held for a minimum of 12 months).
  • Passport
  • Proof of current address – such as a utility bill or credit card statement (dated within the last three months)
  • A certificate of medical examination – to be completed by your GP
  • A completed DBS application form (the form – which will be for you to get completed – will be given to you at your knowledge test appointment). Please read the guidance on completing the DBS application and the ID Checking Guidelines to ensure you bring the required documents with you.
  • Proof of your right to work in the UK  – to see what documents we can accept see the last two pages of the acceptable rights to work guidance.

If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances, the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If, during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK’s immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it to the council. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

If you have spent more than three months out of the country since the age of 10, you may be required to provide a Certificate of Good Conduct.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check

Once we have checked your application we will need to submit an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service application (DBS) for you. This is to check that you are of good character.

You may want to consider subscribing to the DBS update service, as this will make the process easier when it comes to renewing your licence. You can find more information on the DBS guidance.

Once you receive your completed DBS certificate you will need to bring it in to our office to show a licensing officer so that we can complete the processing of your application.

Attend a Disability Awareness and Safeguarding Training Course

When you attend your appointment to submit your application, you will be required to book a place on a disability awareness and safeguarding training course (unless you can provide evidence of attending equivalent training within the last three years).

To book a place on a course, and for full details of the training, please see Safeguarding and disability awareness training for drivers of vulnerable passengers.

We recommend you aim to arrive at least 15 minutes before the training starts as you won’t be allowed in if you are late.

If you arrive late or fail to attend, you will have to pay a further fee to book onto another course.

Apply for a vehicle licence and an operator’s licence

If you will be using your own vehicle(s) as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle:

Before you can start taking passengers for hire and reward you need to get a licence for your vehicle – click here to apply for a vehicle licence.

If you intend to run your own company

If you wish to start up a company accepting bookings for private hire vehicles you will need to apply for a private hire vehicle operator’s licence.

If you will be working for an operator

If you will be working for an existing operator, and will not be using your own vehicle, then all you need to check is that the vehicle you are driving is licensed (check the plate on the back) and insured.

Further information

If you have any questions please email or call 01235 422556