Skip to content

Renew an existing taxi driver’s licence

Here are the steps you need to follow to renew a taxi driver’s licence and the recommended order you should do them in:


Read the Joint Taxi Licensing Policy

All information relating to hackney carriage or private hire licensing in the district is available in our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy.

Please ensure you read this before you start your application, as the policy changed in June 2021 and there are now new requirements for driver applications.

Please also review our covid-19 taxi page for current advice and guidance.

Book the disability awareness and safeguarding training course

All driver licence applicants are now required to attend the disability awareness and safeguarding training course every three years.

For licences expiring before the end of December 2021, we will accept a booking confirmation with the application.

For licences expiring from 1 January 2022 onwards, you will be expected to have attended the course before we issue the licence.

To book a place on a course, and for full details of the training, please see safeguarding and disability awareness training for drivers.

Do you need a medical?

If you are under 45 then the medical certificate you provided when you first applied to be a taxi driver is likely still valid, so you do not need to worry about this stage.

If you are over 45 years of age you need to have a medical examination every five years (from the date of the last medical).

If you are over 65, you will need a medical every year.

If you need to book a medical examination, please contact your GP. A fee will be payable for this examination which would be paid directly to the doctor’s surgery.

Before going to the medical examination, you will need to print out the medical examination form and take it with you to your appointment. You will then need to ask the doctor to complete it for you. Before leaving the appointment, please check the doctor has completed the entire form including the front sheet. We often have to reject medicals due to them being incomplete.

Some drivers have certain medical conditions that may require them having more frequent medicals. For example, if you have diabetes managed by insulin or a sulphonylurea or a glinide, a full medical is required at the usual intervals determined by your age and any other medical conditions, and in addition an annual specialist medical will be required in accordance with DVLA Group 2 guidelines – for more details please see this annual diabetic medical form and guidance which should be sent to us once complete. If you are unable to find a specialist to complete this form, send us an email so we can assist with a referral.

Complete the application form

Please download and complete the hackney carriage and private hire driver licence application form. You also need to get together the supporting documentation you need to submit with the form and ensure you have the money to pay the correct fee.

For details on how we use data relating to licence holders and applicants, please see our privacy notice for licence holders and applicants.


Submit your application

Please submit your application form and pay the application fee through our online application portal. See our covid-19 taxi page for information on how to use the portal.

If you already have an enhanced DBS disclosure (with this council as the countersignatory) and this is subscribed to the DBS Update Service, please send us a scan or photo of this with your application.

If you do not submit this with your application, we will send you a DBS application form to complete and bring with you to an appointment together with your supporting documents.

Please read the guidance on completing the DBS application and the ID Checking Guidelines to ensure you bring the required documents with you when you come in for the DBS check appointment (see Step 6).


Attend your appointment

Once we have received and reviewed your application form we will contact you to arrange an appointment when we will ask you to bring the following supporting documents:

  • A passport photo
  • A full valid UK/EU/EEA driving licence
  • A medical report – if required (see Step 3)
  • The DBS Enhanced Disclosure, applied for through this council and signed up to the DBS Update Service or a DBS Enhanced Disclosure application form (we will send you this when we book your appointment) and the supporting ID documents.
  • A safeguarding and disability awareness training certificate dated within the last 3 years (or your booking confirmation) (see Step 2)
  • Proof of your right to work in the UK  – to see what documents we can accept, see the last two pages of the Home Office Right to Work guidance

Please read the guidance on completing the DBS application and the ID Checking Guidelines to ensure you bring the required documents with you to the appointment. If you don’t complete the form properly and don’t bring the appropriate ID documents, we will not be able to complete the appointment.

If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances, the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If, during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK’s immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it to the council. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

If you have spent more than three months out of the country since your last application, you may be required to provide a Certificate of Good Conduct.

Send us your DBS certificate

All applicants must submit an enhanced DBS disclosure which has this council as countersignatory and is also registered with the DBS Update Service.

If you were unable to provide this at your appointment, and a new DBS application was made, when you receive your DBS disclosure, you must subscribe to the DBS Update Service within 28 days, as this is a condition of any licence granted. You should then send us the original DBS disclosure (we recommend you send this by recorded or special delivery) so that we can complete the processing of your application. We will return this to you as soon as we have processed the document.


Further information

If you have any questions please email or call 01235 422556.