Celebrations for the King’s Coronation
The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III will take place on Saturday 6 May 2023 at Westminster Abbey in London. During the ceremony, the King will be crowned alongside Her Majesty The Queen Consort.
Across the country events will be taking place to mark this historic occasion.
On this page you’ll find all you need to know about the national events and how to plan an event of your own in the district.
What do I need to do if I want to organise an event for the Coronation?
The deadline for applications for temporary road closures for street parties to celebrate the Coronation has now closed.
Our licensing team have some really useful tips for planning an event with all the details you need to know about getting a temporary event notice if you plan to sell alcohol or provide entertainment including music, dancing or film. You can find this information on the licencing webpages.
You can add the details of your event to the national interactive map using the Coronation event website
Official events taking place across the Vale of White Horse
Below are a list of some of the events taking place in the district organised by town and parish councils, charities and community organisations.
- Coronation Fun in the Park. Hosted by Abingdon-on-Thames Town Council at Abbey Grounds on Sunday 7 May from 10am – 3pm – More information available on the Abingdon-on-Thames Town Council website.
Royal Afternoon Tea to celebrate the Coronation of King Charles III at Chilton Village Hall on Saturday 6 May from 10am – 1pm – More information available here.
- Coronation Barn Dance. Hosted by Didcot Town Council at Didcot Civic Hall on Saturday 29 April from 7pm – 11.30pm – More information on the town council events webpage.
- Kings Coronation Celebration with entertainment. Hosted by Style Acre at Boundary Park, Didcot, on Saturday 6 May from 2pm – 11pm – More information available on the Style Acre Facebook page.
- Kings Coronation Celebration with music. Hosted by Faringdon Town Council at Faringdon Market Place on Saturday 6 May from 4pm – 9pm – More information available on the town council website.
Sparsholt & Westcot
- Coronation Ceremony on the big screen. Hosted by Sparsholt & Westcot Parish Council at Church of the Holy Rood, Sparsholt on Saturday 6 May from 10am – 2pm – More information available on the Westcot, Sparsholt, Childrey & Kingston Lisle Villages Facebook page.
- Train Rides and screening of the Coronation concert. Hosted by Sparsholt & Westcot Parish Council at West Street and Church of the Holy Rood, Sparsholt on Sunday 7 May from 3.30pm – 7.30pm-More information available on the Westcot, Sparsholt, Childrey & Kingston Lisle Villages Facebook page.
- Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort. Hosted by Wantage Town Council at Wantage Market Place on Saturday 6 May – More information available on the town council website.
Details of events taking place in South Oxfordshire are on the South Oxfordshire District Council website
What else is happening in Oxfordshire?
We’ll update this space in the coming months to keep you across the events taking place in the county
Official plans for the weekend
The Coronation Big Lunch
The Coronation Big Lunch, on 7 May, will encourage communities to come together, celebrate their connections and get to know each other better.
It will bring the Coronation festivities into the heart of every community.
More detail on how to get involved is available on the Coronation Big Lunch website.
The Big Help Out
The Big Help Out, on 8 May, will provide an opportunity to showcase the impact of volunteering within communities.
People across the UK will be able to get involved and more information can be found on The Big Help Out website.
Coronation Champion Awards
The Coronation Champion Awards for volunteers will celebrate the invaluable work volunteers do across the county. The Royal Voluntary Service along with The Queen Consort asked people to nominate volunteers over the age of 14 for these awards. The deadline for nominations has now closed. You can find out more on The Royal Voluntary Service website.