Skip to content

Temporary road closures

The District Council processes applications for temporary road closures due to social events and street parties only. If you have an enquiry that relates to a road closure which does not fall into one of these categories, or if for example you would like to know why, or how long a road has been closed, please check this website to find details of the closure and/or contact the Highways Authority at Oxfordshire County Council    

King Charles III Coronation Street Parties

If you would like to request a road closure for a King Charles III Coronation street party then please use the application form for a street party which you can find here Street Party Application Form. Please ensure that you have the agreement of all those affected by the closure and read all the guidance on the form. We will require the application form, map of the closure and a risk assessment (Risk Assessment Template).

Email the completed form and/or any queries to Please get your application forms in as soon possible and at least 28 days before the event. The deadline for us to receive applications for road closures for the Coronation will be 31st March 2023.

If you want to plan a street party, fete or parade in the district there are a few steps you need to take.

Planned road closures


Saturday 6 May 15:00 – 22:00 – Kings Coronation Celebration Event – Cornmarket, Market Place (including the bus lane), London Street, from its junction with Swan Lane to Market Place, Church Street, from its junction with Swan Lane to Market Place

Temporary road closure for your event

First of all, you will need to apply for a temporary road closure. Please note that we do not charge a fee for applications.

There are different application forms and guidance depending on the type of event being planned.

Risk Assessment for your event

You will need to carry out a risk assessment. If you don’t have a risk assessment form, you can download and complete our template. Please do contact us if you need any help.

What do I do if I want to sell food or alcohol and have live music?

If you’d like to include musical entertainment or the sale of food or drink at your event your will need a separate approval and licence, there’s more information on our temporary event notice page.

Once you’ve completed the application form and have read all the conditions and the necessary paperwork, please send by email or post it to the contact details below.

How much notice do I need to give?

We must receive your application form and associated documents at least 28 days before the date of the planned event. It may not be possible to process late applications.

If you know you’re going to hold an event later in the year you can submit your application earlier than the deadline – you don’t have to wait until nearer the time!

What happens when we receive your application form?

We will acknowledge your application request when we’ve received it and start a consultation with other organisations such as Thames Valley Police and Oxfordshire County Council.

Once the consultation period has finished (and there are no objections) we will be able to make the legal order to allow your temporary road closure and will send you a copy.  We will also add it onto this page.

If any objections are made, we will contact the person named on the application form, so that any issues are discussed and hopefully resolved.  

Holding a sporting event or planning to do some roadworks?

You will need to contact Oxfordshire County Council for these events.

Please note that your event should comply with the Government Covid-19 legislation and guidance in place at the time of your event. The guidance can be found using the link below: