Skip to content

Financial support

If you’re struggling to pay your bills or your council tax, or for other essentials like food and drink, there is plenty of support available.

Here’s some information that might be able to help you.

 Household Support Voucher Scheme

We understand that the everyday pressures for residents living in the Vale of White Horse can be a struggle. To help, we’re working again in partnership with local South and Vale organisations and supported by Oxfordshire County Council to deliver the Household Support Voucher Scheme.

How does it work?

If you’re a local organisation already supporting a Vale of White resident and would like to discuss submitting a referral on behalf of your client, please email Our team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

If you’re a resident and financially struggling, please contact either Vale Community Impact or Citizen’s Advice who may be able to help and can talk through support available.

Vale Community Impact

Telephone: 01235 765348


Citizens Advice

Telephone: 0808 2787907

We appreciate that the scheme may look slightly different than what we’ve done previously. Rest assured, our approach has been carefully considered by our team and local organisations for longer term support that meets your household’s need.

Support from Oxfordshire County Council

Oxfordshire Residents Support Scheme

A new scheme has been launched to support residents who are either in, or at risk of being in crisis, are in need of immediate help and have no other source of financial support available to them.  For more information on eligibility and how to apply please see the Oxfordshire County Council Website.

Care Workers’ Hardship Grant

Oxfordshire care workers’ can apply for a grant from Oxford County Council to help those struggling with increased living costs. If you are working in the Oxfordshire care sector you can make an application online for the Care Workers’ Charity hardship grant. For more information on eligibility and how to apply please see the Oxfordshire County Council website.

Welcome the Warmth can provide a range of fully-funded energy-efficiency improvements for your home. Oxfordshire County Council has secured grant funding to improve the energy efficiency of eligible homes within the Oxfordshire area.

Council tax

If you are facing any difficulties paying your council tax for any reason, including loss of work or a reduction of income, contact us as soon as possible on 0345 302 2315 or email

If you are currently not being paid, or are on a low income and are struggling to pay your bills, please apply for Council Tax Reduction – your account will then be put on hold for 30 days while your application is processed. 

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for working age people who are on low income or out of work. The scheme is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Find out more about Universal credit on our webpage.

Other support available from government

If you are in urgent need of financial assistance, you may be eligible for other government benefits. 

Visit the government’s claiming employment and benefit support website or visit your local job centre for more information.

If you are claiming a low-income benefit you may also be entitled to a £650 Cost of Living Payment. To find out more, visit the government’s Cost of Living Payment information page.

Claiming Employment and Support Allowance

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work or if you cannot work while you are unwell. It’s also available for people who are employed, self-employed or unemployed. You can find out more information and if you’re eligible on the government’s website.

Statutory Sick Pay

Your employer has a responsibility to pay you statutory sick pay if you’re too ill to work. There’s more information about statutory sick page, on the government’s website.

Support for self-employed

If you are self-employed you can find out more about the self-employment income support scheme on the governments website.

Debt advice

Free debt advice is available from the National Debtline – their number is 0808 808 4000.

Citizens Advice Oxfordshire South and Vale can provide you with free, confidential advice via 0808 278 7907

Vale Community Impact can provide free advice too, call them on 01235 765348.

MoneyHelper provides free debt advice on 0800 138 1677.

The government’s MoneyHelper website also provides online advice and support, webchat to answer your questions, tools for managing money and debt, and information on local advice and support organisations.