Who we are
We work with South Oxfordshire District Council to provide cost-effective services for our residents. We employ around 450 people, most of whom are based at our offices at 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Milton, OX14 4SB.
You can find out more about the Leader of our council here.
Each year, our Council Leader appoints a Chair of the Council – this is a non-political role that involves chairing meetings and representing the council at community events. Find out more information on our Chair here.
The council also has Aldermen, an honorary title which can awarded to distinguished former councillors in recognition of the service they provided to the council and the district.
Th The council’s Chief Executive is Mark Stone (also Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer).
The council’s Deputy Chief Executives are:
- Andrew Down – Partnerships and 5 Councils Partnership Commercial Director
- Adrianna Partridge – Transformation and Operations
- Suzanne Malcolm – Place
Our services are divided into the following areas:
Development and Corporate Landlord
Interim Head of department: James Carpenter
- Economic Development
- Community centres
- The Beacon
- Leisure centres
- Car parks
- Parks maintenance and toilets
Housing and Environment
Head of department – Liz Hayden (also Designated Safeguarding Lead)
- Licensing (including taxis and pubs and clubs)
- Housing needs (including housing register, homelessness)
- Environmental and neighbourhood nuisance issues (including environmental health, food safety, restaurant food hygiene ratings, how to report fly-tipping)
- Recycling and waste collections
Head of department – Adrian Duffield
- Prepares and consults on statutory plans for land use and development in the district
- Gives expert advice to developers and the public
- Scrutinises and determines planning applications
- Investigates contraventions of planning approvals and rules and takes appropriate action
- Conservation area appraisals, Listed buildings and Tree Preservation orders
- Transport infrastructure
Head of department: Adrianna Partridge
- Health and safety
- Accessibility, equality and diversity
- Planning for emergency situations
- Communications Team
- Customer services and complaints
- Information governance (Data Protection)
Head of department: Simon Hewings (also Section 151 Officer)
- Revenues and Benefits (including Council Tax and Housing Benefits)
- Business Rates
- Benefit Fraud Investigation
Legal and democratic
Head of department: Patrick Arran (also Monitoring Officer)
Policy and Programmes
Head of department: Harry Barrington-Mountford
- Corporate Plan
- Planning policy (including Local Plan, Neighbourhood planning, Oxon 2050, S106/CIL Policy)
- Community Grants
- Community Hub
- Garden Communities
- Active Communities
Head of department: Andrew Down
If you have a matter that cannot be dealt with by the relevant team or Head of Department, or you feel you need to escalate it to our Chief Executive Mark Stone, you can do so by emailing Executivesupportsav@southandvale.gov.uk or by calling 01235 422100.
To see job opportunities at the council please see our current vacancies page.
Trade Union facility time
We are required to publish this data on the amount and spend of facility time in respect of staff who are Trade Union representatives
Vale of White Horse District Council’s constitution sets out how the council operates, how decisions are made and the procedures which are followed to ensure that these are efficient, transparent and accountable to local people. Some of these processes are required by the law, while others are a matter for the council to choose.
Where you live
To find out more about Vale of the White Horse and where you live, you can click on the information about your area section of our home page or for more detail about the district you can head to our where I live page