Read our climate action plan and latest reports
What we are doing to tackle the climate emergency
Our climate action targets are:
- to become carbon neutral within our own operations by 2030, with an aim for a 75 per cent reduction in our emissions by 2025.
- for the Vale to a carbon neutral district by 2045, with an aim for a 75 per cent reduction in emissions across the district by 2030
Carbon neutral, or ‘net zero carbon’, means there is a balance between the carbon emissions produced and the amount removed from the atmosphere.
Climate Action Plan
The Climate Action Plan outlines the steps we will take to achieve our aim of becoming carbon neutral within our own operations by 2030, with a 75 per cent reduction in emissions by 2025, alongside how we will support local efforts to tackle the climate emergency.
Climate Action Plan Performance Reports
To ensure that we are delivering on our climate change ambitions, we publish quarterly reports outlining our progress and performance against the measures within the Climate Action Plan.
See below the performance highlights for this quarter:
You can also read our previous quarterly reports here:
- 2023-24 Quarter 1 Climate Action Plan performance report (PDF)
- 2022-23 Quarter 1 Climate Action Plan performance report (PDF)
- 2022-23 Quarter 2 Climate Action Plan performance report (PDF)
- 2022-23 Quarter 3 Climate Action Plan performance report (PDF)
- 2022-23 Quarter 4 Climate Action Plan performance report (PDF)
Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report
We will continue to monitor our progress in relation to carbon emissions from our own operations through the Annual Greenhouse Gas Emissions Report.
Home Energy Conservation Act Reports
Under the Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA) we must report on measures we’re taking to improve local residential energy efficiency. Download the latest report below.
Climate Emergency Advisory Committee
Our Climate Emergency Advisory Committee (CEAC) makes recommendations to Cabinet on how we can reduce damage to the global and local environment through our policies and practices.
Climate Action in our Corporate Plan
Our Corporate Plan prioritises climate and ecological work through the plan’s themes of ‘protect and restore our natural world’ and ‘action on climate emergency’, highlighting that the climate and ecological emergencies are important areas of work for the council. Our Climate Action Plan which sets out how we will achieve our carbon neutral targets in our own operations and across the district.
In addition to strategy development, we have lobbied government to:
- Set clear standards through building regulations for zero carbon new buildings
- Facilitate the urgent retrofit of existing homes to ensure we can meet energy targets
- Provide local government with increased support for electric vehicle charging infrastructure, including on-street charging
- Review and simplify the regulatory framework to allow councils to maximise the use of their assets for electricity generation and battery storage.
Stay up to date with the latest climate and nature news
To stay up to date with our latest climate and nature news, make sure you sign up to our e-newsletter Vale News. You’ll receive all the latest info on the council and our work to tackle the climate emergency direct to your inbox each month.