Skip to content

Regular testing and self-isolation

Why is regular testing important?

About 1 in 3 people with COVID-19 do not have symptoms but can still infect others. Therefore, everyone is advised to get tested regularly.  

It is an incredibly important and effective way of slowing the spread of COVID-19.

Even if you’re vaccinated, there’s still a chance you can pass COVID-19 on, so you should keep getting tested regularly.

Anyone who does not have symptoms can get regular rapid lateral flow tests to check for COVID-19. Find out where to get a lateral flow test on the NHS website

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you need a different test called a PCR test. Get a PCR test if you have symptoms of COVID-19 on GOV.UK

Why is self isolating important?

By self-isolating, you are protecting your friends, family and your community and helping to stop the virus spreading. You must not leave your home if you test positive or have been told by NHS test and trace that you must self isolate.

How have the self isolation rules changed?

From 16 August 2021 you will not be required to self-isolate if you live in the same household as someone with COVID-19 and any of the following apply:

  • you are fully vaccinated
  • you are below the age of 18 years 6 months
  • you have taken part in or are currently part of an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial
  • you are not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons

Does this change apply to me if my child or someone in my workplace tests positive?


However, everyone who is identified as a close contact of someone who tests positive are advised to take a PCR test as soon as possible even if you are not showing symptoms.

See the links below for more information about self-isolation guidance, advice and financial or practical support:

More information on the NHS website:

More information on the Government website

If you are household with children and you need to self-isolate

Schools and colleges have plans in place to continue the education of children and young people required to self-isolate. Additional resources and information for parents and carers on schools and education during the pandemic can be found on Oxfordshire County Council’s website.