Skip to content

Help with improving your home

A range of loans and grants are available for homeowners to help improve the warmth, safety or security of their homes.

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you are a disabled person and you need adaptations to your home, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). A DFG s a means-tested grant which offers help with the cost of necessary adaptations to homes to provide better facilities and freedom of movement in and around the home including:

  • Stairlifts
  • Ramps                 
  • Level access showers

The grant is up to the maximum value of £50,000, however if you have a regular income or savings you may have to contribute towards the cost of the works. No contribution is required towards an adaptation for a child.

To apply

Before you can apply for a DFG your needs must be assessed by an Occupational Therapist based within the Oxfordshire County Council’s Adult Social Care Team.

You can request an assessment by an Occupational Therapist by phone on 0345 050 7666 or by email

Flexible Home Improvement Loan

If you are a homeowner aged 60 or over we could help you with a flexible home improvement loan.

Energy Saving

  • Free and impartial advice on energy bill discounts and grants and funding for energy saving home improvements is available from Better Housing Better Health or call 0800 107 0044.
  • Oxfordshire County Council also offers help through Sustainable Warmth Grants. Visit the Oxfordshire County Council Sustainable Warmth Grants page to find out if you are eligible for grant funding to retrofit your home and reduce your energy bills.
Energy Company Obligation

Our eligibility criteria for Energy Company Obligation (ECO) are set out in our statement of intent below.  Any resident who believes that they may be eligible for help under flexible eligibility should contact Better Housing Better Health.

Home Energy Conservation Act

Under the Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA) we must report on measures we’re taking to improve local residential energy efficiency. Download the latest report below.

Contact us - Private Sector Housing

01235 422436
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Vale of White Horse District Council
Private Sector Housing Team
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB