Community Governance Review
As a district council we are responsible for reviewing parish arrangements and implementing any appropriate changes to benefit the decision making and community management in the local area. Currently we undertake a community governance review every four years.
Reviews can consider:
- altering the existing boundary of a parish
- creating, merging or abolishing parishes
- changing the name of existing parishes
- the electoral arrangements for parishes (e.g. how many parish councillors are required and parish warding)
- grouping parishes under a common parish council, or de-grouping parishes.
- the “style” of a parish (enabling an area to be known as a town, community, neighbourhood or village rather than a parish).
Have your say
As part of our latest review, we would like to hear your thoughts on proposals to alter the community governance arrangements in:
- Grove – removal of current warding arrangements
- Grove (East Challow) – amending the boundary of the parish to include Grove Technology Park, currently in East Challow parish
- Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor (Fyfield and Tubney) – amending the parish boundary east of Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor to include land currently in Fyfield and Tubney parish
- North Hinksey – a review of the parish name to include Botley and alter the status of the parish – change to community council
- South Hinksey (Kennington) – amending the parish boundary south of South Hinksey to include the former Westwood Hotel site, currently in Kennington parish
- Sunningwell (Wootton and Cumnor) – amending the parish boundary to include the area of Boars Hill currently in Wootton and Cumnor parishes and amending the parish name to reflect the change
- Uffington – increasing the number of parish councillors from six to seven
- Wootton – a review of the parish name to reflect the settlement of Boars Hill
What’s happened so far:
In November 2021 we contacted all parish councils across the Vale of White Horse asking them to submit requests for matters to be considered as part of a Community Governance Review.
We then collated and presented the responses to the Community Governance and Electoral Issues Committee on 7 March 2022. The committee agreed to consider all requests submitted and formally adopted the Terms of Reference.
How to take part
Following the close of the initial consultation period, if you would like to register to speak at the next meeting of the Community Governance and Electoral Issues Committee on Thursday 26 May 2022 please email Democratic Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to register to speak must be received by 5pm on Wednesday 25 May 2022.
If you have any other comments you can also email us at:
What happens next?
Once the full consultation has ended, our Community Governance and Electoral Issues Committee will consider the responses and then put forward draft proposals on the changes for further consultation later this year. Subject to any amendments, the final changes will then be adopted so they apply from the May 2023 elections.
Terms of Reference & Timetable
- CGR_A – Grove Parish Council request
- CGR_B – Grove (East Challow) boundary change
- CGR_C – Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor request
- CGR_D – North Hinksey Parish Council request
- CGR_E – South Hinksey boundary change with map
- CGR_F – Sunningwell (Wootton and Cumnor) boundary change with map 1 and map 2
- CGR_G – Uffington Parish Council request
- CGR_H – Wootton Parish Council request
Hard copies can be viewed at the following libraries:
- Abingdon Library
- Botley Library
- Faringdon Library
- Grove Library
- Wantage Library
- Department for Communities and Local Government: Guidance on Community Governance Reviews
- Community Governance and Electoral Issues Committee
Please refer to our privacy statement regarding how your personal data is used for this consultation, available on the consultation page of our website. If you would like to know more about the council’s data protection registration or to find out about your personal data, please visit our website.