Out of hours reporting

Call: 01235 422420

When does the service operate?

An on-call officer is available Thursday to Saturday, and Sundays before a Bank Holiday.  The service operates during the evening from 19:00 to 02:00 the following morning. 

What does the service cover?

We respond to serious noise emergencies such as very noisy parties, house/vehicle car alarms and ongoing noise complaints.  This problem noise can be coming from:

  • a neighbour's property
  • a commercial premises or
  • a licensed premises (i.e. pub/club).

Our criteria for dealing with an out-of-hours noise problem is that the noise has to be loud enough to potentially disturb sleep. 

This emergency service does not deal with noise complaints relating to:

  • barking dogs
  • street and/or traffic noise
  • car stereos
  • bell ringing
  • lawn mowers and
  • domestic violence noise (where the Police should be called).

These types of noise complaints and all other nuisance complaints are dealt with by the Environmental Protection Team during normal office hours.

How does the service operate?

Incoming calls are received by a call centre with appropriate cases being passed to the on-call duty officer.  This officer assesses each call passed through and will call the complainant back to discuss the noise problem and decide on the best course of action to take.  If the officer decides a visit is appropriate, they will make arrangements to visit you and listen to the noise.  The officer will need to witness the alleged noise problem from within your property in order to obtain credible evidence should we need to take the matter to court. 

During busy periods it may take the duty officer a little time to contact you, so please be patient.

Last reviewed: 10 - 09 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo