Skip to content

Restrictive covenants on old council houses

Restrictive covenants are permanent rules on what you can and can’t do to a house and/or a piece of land and these rules are passed on to anyone buying it.

To find out if your home has a restrictive covenant, you can read the title documents from when you bought the house or ask the solicitor who acted for you for advice.

Covenants can include:

  • Alterations and extensions to the building
  • Changes to the front garden and garden fences
  • Parking
  • Changing the use – such as turning a house into a business premises
  • Pets
  • Hobbies
  • Letting it out to others
  • Advertising posters
  • Right of entry for maintenance of services – such as keeping drains uncovered

Applying for consent to make changes

If you live in a Sovereign property, you will need to contact them for consent.  Their website is

If the land is owned by us, you’ll need to download and complete the form below and return it to our property team.

You must apply prior to doing any work or making any changes. 

Once this is picked up by a member of our property team, you will need to provide us with the following information:

  • Land registry documents for your own property/land
  • Title register
  • Title plan
  • Title deed
  • Transfer document
  • Your solicitor’s details

We would recommend that residents contact their own solicitors for legal advice in relation to covenants. The council is only able to deal with applications and enquiries from the freeholder of the property.

Contact us - Property team

01235 422660
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Vale of White Horse District Council
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE