Skip to content

Anti-social behaviour: Having ‘that’ conversation

Many people who experience anti-social behaviour at home will avoid speaking to the person(s) responsible. You might think ‘’the conversation is too awkward’’ or ‘’am I overreacting?’’ or ‘’it could make matters worse’’. 

While it can be daunting, talking about the issue in person is much more effective than a note through the door or even trying to ignore the issue until it causes you stress or anxiety. Always consider your safety and the safety of others before you make the decision to speak to someone.

When you approach the person(s) to discuss the issue remember these tips: 

  • Approach them with a conversational tone, rather than being bossy or assertive. For example ‘’Hi there, how are you? Do you have a minute to talk about…’’ is a better start than ‘’Excuse me you know you shouldn’t be doing that’’ 
  • Explain the impact their actions are having on you and others – Quite often people aren’t aware that their behaviour is effecting anyone else and this is enough to change their behaviour 
  • Try to keep the conversation as impersonal as you can – Focus on the actions and their impacts, not the individuals 
  • If you feel unsafe because the conversation has become aggressive or threatening, walk away 
  • Try to reach a verbal agreement about what changes will be made to fix the issue 
  • Thank them for speaking to you and encourage them to discuss any problems in future 

If you are concerned that a neighbour may be breaking the current coronavirus regulations, please adopt the above approach and try to speak to them about your concerns first.  

If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour of a more serious nature, you do not feel confident in speaking to the person(s) responsible, or a neighbour deliberately breaches the coronavirus regulations after you have discussed with them,  please dial Thames Valley Police 101 for further advice.

If you are in dispute with your neighbour and both parties feel they are in the right, mediation might a good option to explore.  Mediation brings both parties together with an independent person to listen to both people in the dispute and help them find a solution. If you would like to discuss mediation for the issues you are experiencing, please contact the Community Safety Team or your housing provider.

Contact us - Community safety

01235 422590
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Vale of White Horse District Council
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB