Support for Ukraine
We are deeply concerned about the conflict and humanitarian emergency in Ukraine. In standing with the people of Ukraine we, alongside our partner organisations are helping in any way we can, including resettling refugees locally.
Homes for Ukraine scheme
The government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme offers a route to those who want to come to the UK who have someone here willing to provide them with a home. See the supporting government website.
It enables individuals, charities, community groups and businesses to volunteer accommodation and provide a route to safety for Ukrainians, and their immediate family members, forced to escape their homeland.
Could you help a family from Ukraine?
If you have a spare room or home and can make it available for at least six months, find out how you can become a host for Ukrainian refugees through the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
A monthly thank you payment of £550 per month will be paid to you for the time you are sponsoring and hosting someone. This payment is optional.
Support for hosts and guests
There are many hosts across the district. Any host or guest who needs support and advice should contact our Community Hub either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or directly on 01235 422600 via option 3. Phonelines are open 8.30am -5pm Mon-Thurs and 8.30am – 4.30pm Fri.
Homes for Ukraine Council Tax Scheme
A 50 per cent discount on council tax will apply for Ukrainian nationals under the Homes for Ukraine Council Tax Scheme if you are living in the UK under the Homes for Ukraine sponsorship scheme and are living in your own accommodation not in a sponsor’s home.
Guidance for Ukrainian nationals
The UK government has produced the following guidance for people from Ukraine:
- Move to the UK if you’re from Ukraine – what you need to do before you travel to the UK and what to do after you arrive.
- UK visa support for Ukrainian nationals – the support available to Ukrainian nationals and their family members.
- Apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme visa – guidance for family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme.
- Welcome: a guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK – this guide also includes specific information for those arriving on the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
Making a donation
Many people in the county want to do whatever they can to help, and one way is to make a donation.
The best current route to donate and support is via the Disasters Emergencies Committee. The UK Government has said it will match fund up to £20m. DEC works with 15 charities including Oxfam, Christian Aid and Save the Children.
There are a number of other international charities you can support:
- The British Red Cross has launched a Ukraine Crisis Appeal to support the work of the Ukrainian Red Cross to fund food, water, first aid, medicines, warm clothes and shelter.
- The UNHCR refugee agency is collecting monetary donations for humanitarian assistance, emergency shelter and relief items like blankets. It will also fund psychological support for refugees.
- The UN’s children’s charity, UNICEF, is accepting donations to help ensure child health and protection services are sustained and families have clean water and food.
If you’re looking to donate to causes working in Ukraine and neighbouring countries, you should make a few simple checks before giving:
- Check the charity’s name and registration number at www.gov.uk/checkcharity
- Make sure the charity is genuine before giving any financial information
- Be careful when responding to emails or clicking on links within them
- Contact or find out more online about the charity that you’re seeking to donate to or work with to understand how they are spending their funds
- Look out for the Fundraising Badge on charity fundraising materials, this is the logo which shows that a charity has committed to fundraise in line with the Code of Fundraising Practice
If you are not able to find the answer to your query from these sources, please email our Community Hub via email@example.com and our team will do their best to help you.
You can also read our Homes for Ukraine privacy notice (PDF).