I’ve found a stray dog
Here’s what to do if you’ve found a stray dog:
- If it’s safe to do so, put the dog on a lead or safely and securely put in a shed or garage
- If it’s wearing a tag with the owner’s details – please try to contact them first so they can come and collect it direct from you
- Try looking on local social media ‘lost dog’ pages and websites such as DogLost.co.uk to see if someone is looking for their dog in the area
- If the dog isn’t wearing a tag, you can’t get hold of the owner, or you are concerned about the condition of the dog, please call our environmental health team during office hours or if it’s outside normal office hours use our out-of-hours contact details. Our dog warden will contact you to arrange collection
- If the dog is too dangerous to approach or is causing a danger, such as running in traffic, you should contact Thames Valley Police on 101
Stray dog journey – what happens after we receive a call about a stray dog?