Skip to content

How to get rid of unwanted posters and graffiti


Putting up advertising posters on street furniture or buildings without the owner’s permission can be unsightly.  We are responsible for removing any fly posters from council buildings, public toilets and car parks. 

If there are unwanted adverts or signs on street lights, grass verges and roundabouts that is the responsibility of Oxfordshire County Council so please contact them.


Removing graffiti from walls and other surfaces is the responsibility of a variety of different agencies and property owners.

Council owned property

If you notice graffiti on property we own, like public toilets, rubbish bins, street name plates or one of our leisure centres, you can report it to us.

Where possible we will:

  • Commence removing offensive graffiti on areas that we are responsible for within four hours and complete removal within eight hours
  • Remove other graffiti on a council building within two working days

Street furniture

The companies that own street furniture such as post boxes and telecommunications cabinets are responsible for removing the graffiti. Contact the company responsible to ask them to remove it. Remember to give the exact location and box number if shown:

Please note that your local town or parish council may be responsible for bus shelters in your area. In this case you will need to contact the clerk to report any incidents of graffiti.

Private buildings

Removal of graffiti on private property or business premises is the responsibility of the property owner, so please contact them directly, as they may not be aware it is there. If you live in a housing association property, please contact your local housing officer.

You can report fly posting or graffiti on council property using the online form.  Alternatively, you can contact our waste contractor, Biffa.

How to prevent graffiti

  • Don’t paint outside walls white    
  • Apply pebble dash type surfaces to walls rather than smooth, rendered concrete
  • Grow plants and shrubs against walls to restrict access to surfaces
  • Prevent access to roofs by coating drainpipes with non-drying paint available from DIY stores
  • Secure fencing around the property to limit access
  • Install security cameras
  • Coat walls with a suitable graffiti resistant coating

If you witness somebody damaging property with graffiti, call 101 immediately to report it.

Contact us - Biffa

03000 610610
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

c/o Vale of White Horse District Council
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE