Are you homeless or at risk of being made homeless?

We want to prevent you becoming homeless in the first instance so it’s important you contact the housing team for advice on your housing situation. A housing officer will provide advice and support and where possible prevent you from losing your home.

Our homelessness service is an emergency service, and we have a duty to only help those people who meet strict criteria. 

If you’re under 18 and having serious problems at home which make it dangerous or impossible to stay there, contact the Children’s and Family team through Social Services on 01865 897987.

If you’re a victim of domestic violence contact Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse service on 0800 731 0055, to find a refuge call 0808 2000 246 for advice; male victims should contact the Men’s Advice Line

Reducing the risk for domestic abuse provides further information and advice.

There is also help on the Government website.

You can also find advice on housing and homelessness on the Shelter website.

For more information on how the council are tackling homelessness, please see our Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy 2020-2025 below.

Advice leaflets

Advice for those who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless

Advice for those at risk of becoming homeless after being released from prison

Advice for those at risk of becoming homeless after leaving hospital

Advice about domestic abuse and the risk of homelessness

Advice on homelessness and mental health illness

Advice on housing and support for those leaving the armed forces

Advice on housing and support for young people leaving care

Advice on finding somewhere to live if you are sleeping rough

Advice for those not eligible for homeless service?

  • stay with friends or family and save for a deposit for privately rented housing
  • contact your local JobCentrePlus or look at  to check you’re getting all the benefits you’re entitled to
  • if you’re struggling with debt, speak to a debt adviser 
  • apply to the Housing Register, though it can take a long time to access social housing, depending on your circumstances 
  • if you’re sleeping rough – or you’re concerned about someone who is – contact Street Link , who provide access to local services and support
  • if you are rough sleeping in South Oxfordshire the council can refer you to Connections Outreach service who will try and help you resolve your rough sleeping this may be through accessing a hostel

Where else can I find advice?

Shelter  can provide advice on housing and homelessness.

Contact us - Housing needs

Phone icon

01235 422452
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)