Skip to content

Renting a property or room

Renting a property

Renting a property can be confusing and daunting if you’re not sure of what you need to do.  The government has created a How to Rent guide that gives some great advice, including what to do before you start renting and who to speak to if things go wrong. 

We might be able to help you with a loan for your deposit and first month’s rent.  You can find out more by speaking to a member of our Housing Team for more advice.

You can also check the Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefits) rate website.

Renting a room

If you are single, under 35, a couple with no children or dependent on housing benefit, it may be easier and cheaper to find a room to rent rather than renting a whole property.

You could rent a room in someone’s house meaning that your landlord is living with you.  The government has produced a renting rooms in someone’s house booklet that gives you excellent information on what you need to do before you move in. 

You could share a house with other tenants and your landlord live elsewhere. 

Renting out a room in your house

If you have a spare room in your house and would like to rent it out, visit the government’s website for some helpful advice and information on what you’ll need to do.

Contact us - Housing needs

01235 422452
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)