1. The garden waste collection service (the “Service”) is for a 12 month period commencing on the date of your first payment. The Service will continue for further 12 month periods after the initial 12 month period unless you notify the council that you wish to cancel the Service at least five working days before the advised direct debit collection date.
2. If the council misses a collection when your bin was presented correctly in accordance to clause 12, and you have reported this to Biffa, the council will endeavour to make the collection as soon as reasonably practicable. Missed collections must be reported by the end of the following working day after your scheduled collection day. The council will not issue refunds for missed collections.
3. The annual fee for the Service will be by direct debit only. Unless, for exceptional reasons, an alternative method of payment has been agreed in advance by the council.
4. The council reserves the right to carry out an annual review of the Service fee from 1 April each year. You will be notified by invoice if any changes are made.
5. The Service is registered to the property of the resident who purchases it. If you move to another property within South Oxfordshire or Vale of White Horse (“the Districts”), you can have the Service transferred to the new property, provided you inform the council where and when you will be moving and your account at your old property is closed and a new account opened.
6. If you move out of the districts, you will not be eligible for a refund of the fee. If you take the garden waste bin(s) with you, you may be charged for the bin(s). If you cancel or suspend your Service part way through the 12-month period, there will be no full or part refunds.
7. You are entitled to a minimum of 20 collections over the 12-month period. These will be on the same day as your recycling collection (unless the council advises otherwise).
8. All garden waste must be contained within the bin(s) provided unless otherwise agreed by the council. Garden waste not contained in the bin(s) will not be collected. Contaminated or unsafe bin(s) will not be emptied.
9. The council reserves the right to vary these terms and conditions. You will be notified of any changes.
10. The bin(s) will remain the property of the council at all times, and must only be used for garden waste.
11. The bin(s) must not be defaced , damaged or inscribed in any way. Damaged or stolen bin(s) must be reported immediately and a one-off charge may be incurred for the replacement.
12. Bin(s) must be out for collection on the inside edge of your property’s boundary or at an agreed collection point for emptying by 6am on collection day. This should be at the point nearest to the road or pavement and no more than one metre away from the boundary edge. The bin(s) must be accessible and clearly visible.
13. The council reserves the right to change the collection day, but will notify you in advance through the press, the council’s website, social media, and other council publications.
14. The council will suspend collections for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period. Confirmation of collection days and dates affected over the Christmas period will be available from the council’s website and other council publications.
15. The council reserves the right to suspend collections in exceptional circumstances, for example, adverse weather conditions.
16. Properties with restricted access may not be suitable to receive the service. The council will assess the property, and if it is not suitable the council will advise of other options available.
17. If you leave the service at any time, you will not be able to re-join within six months of your leaving date unless agreed by the council.
18. The council accepts no liability for injury due to the use of the bin(s).
19 . The council will use your personal data for the purpose of managing your garden waste subscription only. It will be passed to our contractor Biffa so that they can arrange delivery of your bin and your collections. For full details of how the council manages personal data please see our full privacy statement www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk/vale-of-white-horse-district-council/about-the-council/privacy/privacy-policy/.
To report a missed collection please contact Biffa on 03000, 610 610 or email email@example.com.
Alternative formats of these terms and conditions are available on request. These include large print, Braille and alternative languages. Please contact us on 01235 422600
Updated: March 2021