Apply for, or renew, a vehicle licence

If you are applying for a vehicle licence you need to decide what type of licence you need – this will depend on the type of work you want to do:

Hackney Carriages

Hackney Carriages can be hired directly on the street or at a taxi rank in our district, and can also be pre-booked.

These vehicles must:

  • have a ‘Taxi’ roof sign
  • display the licence plate issued by us, and
  • have a meter set to our tariff.

Private Hire Vehicles

Private Hire Vehicles must be linked to a licensed private hire operator and journeys must be pre-booked by that operator.

These vehicles must display a licence plate issued by us, and are not allowed to display a roof sign.

To find out about the vehicle and signage specifications for a Hackney carriage or private hire vehicle, and about licensing conditions please see our Joint Taxi Licensing Policy.

How to apply for, or renew, a vehicle licence

Before you apply, you should check that your vehicle complies with the vehicle specifications set by us as set out in the Joint Taxi Licensing Policy.

Once you have decided whether you wish to license your vehicle as a private hire vehicle or Hackney carriage please complete the following steps:

  1. Download and complete a vehicle licence application form.
  2. Book a compliance test with one of the authorised garages.
  3. Call us on 01235 422556 to book an appointment to have your application and documents checked by a licensing officer.
  4. The appointment will take place at our office Vale of White Horse District Council, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Milton, OX14 4SB. Please ensure you bring your completed application form, along with your:
    • V5C vehicle registration document. If you don’t have the V5C (for example if you’ve just bought the vehicle) then you should produce the new keeper’s slip and the receipt/bill of sale. If the V5C is in the name of another person or a hire/leasing company, we will need a copy of the lease/hire agreement and written confirmation that they give approval for the vehicle to be licensed.
    • current insurance certificate, or cover note for at least third-party cover and showing the appropriate cover for hire and reward for either public hire (hackney carriage) or private hire use.
    • current certificate of compliance – brand new registered vehicles with fewer than 1,500 miles on the odometer will not be required to have a full compliance certificate test but will require a check on the meter (if fitted) and the tariff card).
    • licence fee.
  5. If you are renewing your plate, you must bring the expiring plate with you.
  6. If you are changing your vehicle, you must bring the current plate with you.

Contact us - Licensing

Phone icon

01235 422556
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Address icon

Vale of White Horse District Council
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB