Business rates relief

Which businesses may be entitled to rate relief and how to apply.

Reliefs and Exemptions

There are a number of different reductions available. Below you will find the main reliefs we offer.  If you think you qualify for any of the reliefs shown please download and complete the application form or contact the Business Rates office for assistance. Calls will cost you 2 pence per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.

Types of relief

Charity Relief and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASC) If you are a charity, a non-profit making organisation, or are registered as a CASC you may be entitled to relief. 

Hardship Relief The council will consider applications from business ratepayers for a reduction in rates on the grounds of hardship.  

Rural Rate Relief Businesses in rural areas may be entitled to relief. 

Small Business Rate Relief If you occupy premises with a rateable value of under £51,000 you may be eligible for a reduction in your bill. 

Partly Occupied Relief If the property you occupy will be partly occupied for a short time only you may be eligible for relief. 

Unoccupied Properties and Exempt Properties Some properties may be exempt from empty property rates whilst others may be subject to a three or six month rate free period. 

Transitional Relief is a Government scheme which ensures that large increases or large decreases in rates bills which are due to the revaluation are phased in gradually over a number of years.  

Newly Built Commercial Property Relief - allows for newly built commercial property (completed between 1 October 2013 and 30 September 2016) that is unoccupied to be eligible for an exemption from business rates for a maximum period of 18 months (95.3 KB) PDF

From 1st April 2012 Section 69 of The Localism Act 2011 amends Section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 to allow authorities to grant business rate discounts (in addition to the already available discretionary rate reliefs).

Last reviewed: 17 - 03 - 2017

Was this page helpful?YesNo