Council tax

Warning over council tax banding claim

We’ve been made aware that some residents have been contacted by companies claiming to represent Vale of White Horse District Council and offering to look into whether people’s council tax banding could be reduced for a charge. 

Beware, you do not need to pay a company for this service and we have not appointed any companies to offer this service.

Council tax bands are determined by the Valuation Office Agency, not by the district council, and they do not charge people who want to challenge their banding.  For more information please click on challenging a council tax band.    

Residents or owners of domestic properties in the district pay council tax to directly contribute towards the costs of council services.  Information on how to register for council tax is detailed below under change of address or other circumstances.  As well as collecting its own element of the council tax, this council also collects on behalf of:

The amount of council tax you pay depends on:

  • Where in the district you live
  • the value of your property, based on values at 1 April 1991
  • your personal circumstances.

For more information please see:

 Vale council tax pie chart 2017/18

More general council tax information can be found on the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) website. This link will take you to an external website...

The council's council tax service is provided by its contractors, Capita Local Government Services This link will take you to an external website... .

For complaints about council tax please contact us (see contacts section of this page).

Change of address or other circumstances

Please let us know if you have moved house, changed your name, or have other changes in your circumstances. This will help us to contact you and to keep our records up to date.  It is important to inform us when you move house so we can bill you correctly for your Council Tax.

My Vale Local Search

Use the My Vale Local Search to find information about council services in the area, such as council tax rates. Search by postcode or town/village.

Last reviewed: 18 - 09 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo