Financial support for businesses and homeowners affected by flooding
The Government has announced a number of schemes to help businesses and homeowners who have been affected by flooding.
These are as follows:
1. Business Rates Flooding Relief
Any operational business premise that meets the following criteria may receive relief of 100% for 3 months, regardless of how long the property has been flooded:
- rateable Value must be under £10million
- the business activity undertaken at the property must have been adversely affected
- relief will run with the property, therefore if the ratepayer changes part way through the 3 months, relief will pass to the new ratepayer
- the flooding must have taken place between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014
To apply for business rate flooding relief please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Council Tax Flooding Relief
Any homeowner that was impacted by flooding between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014 and has had to leave their property will receive Council Tax relief until they are able to return home.
To apply for council tax flooding relief please email email@example.com.
3. Repair and Renewal Grant
Businesses and Homeowners may apply for a grant to pay for work that improves a property’s ability to withstand future flooding.
- grants will be up to a maximum of £5k including the costs of any survey undertaken
- where flood defence work has already been planned for in a certain area, it is unlikely any grant will be given under this scheme
- the work to be undertaken has to improve the properties resilience and resistance to future flooding over and above repairs normally covered by insurance
- flooding must have been incurred between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014
- the council is able to make payments on receipt of invoices so that residents do not have to pay for the works 'up front'.
Applications for this scheme open on 1 April 2014. To apply please complete and return an to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submissions is 31 December 2014.
Please see the Government’s Flood Support Schemes Guidance note for more information at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flood-support-package-for-homeowners-and-businesses
There following grants are also available to support businesses in specific industries:
Farming Recovery Fund - guidance on how farmers can apply for funding to restore flooded agricultural land and bring it back into production. Any farm holding in England can apply for grants of between £500 and £5,000 if they are or have been affected by the recent flood events (since December 1, 2013).
Sport England’s Flood Relief Fund – an investment of £5 million of National Lottery funding into sports facilities that have been damaged as a result of the floods and storms. This dedicated fund will help safeguard community sport and get sports facilities back up and running as quickly as possible.
Visit England - a £2 million support package for the tourism industry in order to support affected destinations and tourism businesses get back on their feet in the aftermath of the recent flooding.
Last reviewed: 05 - 06 - 2014