Parking fines

If you receive an excess charge notice - known as an ECN or parking fine - you will have to pay a penalty of £80. This is reduced to £40 if it is paid within ten working days of the date it was issued.

Click here to pay your parking fine online

Alternatively, you can also pay by

  • cheque or postal order: these should made payable to the Vale of White Horse District Council and sent to: Car Parks Team (see details in the contacts section of this page).
  • by telephone: ring our automated payment service on 01235 422422 to pay instantly by credit or debit card 24 hours a day. Please have your excess charge number to hand when making a payment. If your notice number ends in an A, please substitute the A with the star key (*).

It is essential to quote your excess charge number when making payment.

How to dispute the ECN

All disputes must be in writing or by email, we are unable to help you over the telephone.

The Vale of White Horse District Council operates a two-stage process to consider disputes against ECNs. The Vale Council operates the car parks in exercise of their powers under Section 32, 33(4) and 35 of the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 and Part IV of Schedule 9 to the Act.

The cancellation of ECNs is the responsibility of the Head of Housing & Environment who can delegate this responsibility to the car park manager and the servicemanager. Please view this flow chart (80.6 KB) PDF for details.

ECNs are issued for:

  • non display of a valid ticket or permit
  • a ticket or permit that has expired or isn't valid (including tickets not valid if driver returns within no return period)
  • non display of a disabled badge
  • vehicle not parked within a bay
  • vehicle exceeds weight limit
  • other unauthorised parking or exceeding the maximum stay

We will not cancel an ECN:

  • if the driver parks in a car park without displaying a valid ticket or permit
  • if the driver uses the pay and display machine or the Connect cashless service incorrectly
  • if the driver has not read or misreads the signs regarding the parking regulations or has failed to display a valid ticket for the free parking period
  • if the vehicle is parked not wholly within a marked bay
  • if the driver is delayed for reasons beyond their control but more time should have been allowed when initially obtaining their ticket eg: attending an interview or a meeting
  • if a driver obtains a further free ticket without having left the car parks of the town they are in for the required no return period
  • if taken ill and you are unable to provide medical evidence from a doctor or other medical professional
  • if you are a disabled badge holder who's badge is out of date or you have already had an ECN cancelled for non display of your badge in the previous calendar year.
If you feel your ECN has been issued for a reason other than the bullet points above, please put your dispute in writing to: Car Parks Team (see Contacts section of this page) or email

We can only help you on the telephone if you are unable to make your dispute in writing due to a disability or limited written English.

The relevant car park orders, which govern the rules and regulations in the car parks, are available from the Downloads section of this page.

On street parking is controlled by the County Council - for more details see this page of Oxfordshire County Council's website Oxfordshire County Council This link will take you to an external website... .

Last reviewed: 03 - 05 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo