Mobile homes and caravans

Council owned sites

There are two council owned mobile home sites in the Vale of White Horse District. These are located at Woodlands (113 homes) and Pebble Hill (104 homes). Both are in Radley, Abingdon. The manager of both these homes is Mandy Courtney who can be contacted at the following address:

Mandy Courtney - Mobile Home Parks Officer
Phone 01235 422672 or email
This link will take you to an external website...

Privately owned sites 

Information about the licensing of mobile home sites

If you want to use land as a mobile home/caravan site, including for a single caravan/unit,  you will need a site licence*. There are exemptions to this - see further information below.

There are two types of caravan site that may need a licence - holiday/touring sites and residential sites.

What counts as a caravan/mobile home?

A caravan is any structure designed or adapted for people to live in, which is capable of being moved from one place to another (towed or transported), provided its size does not exceed 20m in length, 6.8m wide and 3.05m in height.  Tents (and camping) and railway stock on rails within the railway system are not included in the definition of a caravan.

View a full definition of a caravan This link will take you to an external website... .

*Under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 This link will take you to an external website...

There are conditions attached to the licence you will need to achieve, which aim to achieve appropriate safety and amenity standards for caravans and mobile home sites.  Please note we may amend these conditions to suit individual circumstances.

The council will need to carry out a site visit to check the facilities before issuing your licence.

Planning permission

Please note: We are unable to consider applications for caravan licences unless planning permission is in place on the site.  Contact Planning for more information.

Apply for a caravan licence

To apply for a licence please contact Environmental Protection

Application and Annual Fees

The council have powers under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (the Act) as amended by the Mobile Homes Act 2013 (the 2013 Act) to issue licences and to charge fees for the provision of our licensing functions.  This power came into force on 01 April 2014.

Site inspections

A risk rating inspection system is used by the council and introduces a sliding scale of annual charges based on the risk/inspection frequency.  This means a site which is more problematic will pay a higher licence fee than one which requires little regulatory involvement from the council. 


You don't need a site licence for:

  • incidental use within the curtilage of a home (e.g. a caravan kept on a domestic driveway for private use by the owners)
  • single caravans for not more than two nights and 28 days in 12 months
  • holdings of five acres or more if not more than 28 days in 12 months and maximum three caravans at any time
  • sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations (e.g. the Caravan Club)
  • sites approved by exempted organisations for up to five caravans
  • meetings organised by exempted organisations
  • seasonal agriculture and forestry workers
  • building and engineering sites
  • travelling showmen
  • sites occupied by a local authority
  • gypsy sites occupied by county or regional councils

View a copy of the legislation detailing the exemptions in full.


We aim to process applications within two months.  There is no deemed approval of applications until a licence is granted.

Depending on the status of the site's planning permission a licence will be granted either permanently or for a fixed period.  If the licence is for a fixed period the expiry date will be stated on the licence.

Renewal of licences

It is the applicant's responsibility to apply and ensure that the necessary planning permission is in place before an application for renewal of a licence is submitted.

Appeals and complaints

If you have concerns about how your application is handled the first point of contact will be the case officer dealing with your application.  If you are still not satisfied you can lodge a complaint with their line manager.  If you are dissatisfied with a condition attached to your licence you have the right of appeal to a magistrates court This link will take you to an external website... within 28 days. 

Other considerations

The following matters are not directly taken into account when considering applications, but you are strongly encouraged to ensure that you have taken account of these issues before applying for a licence (this list is not intended to be exhaustive or comprehensive):

    • How will you dispose of waste? Business owners have a legal duty to safely manage, store and dispose of any waste generated as a result of their business.  You will need to engage a  commercial waste contractor to dispose of any waste generated by your business.
    • The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 (fire safety order), requires responsible persons of all non domestic premises to undertake and implement a fire safety risk assessment of their premises.  For more information on this you can contact the fire service Oxfordshire County Council This link will take you to an external website... .  For mobile home sites this means that fire safety issues relating to mobile homes and plots (domestic premises) are dealt with under the licence conditions and issues on the site generally are dealt with under the fire safety order.
    • The health and safety of your staff and visitors to your site.  You can obtain more information on this from the Health and Safety Executive website Health and Safety Executive This link will take you to an external website... .


If you have an enquiry about a licence you can use the details in the Contact Us section or complete our online form.

Last reviewed: 11 - 03 - 2019

Was this page helpful?YesNo