Skip to content

Private water supplies

If you have supply water that comes from wells, boreholes, springs, rivers or streams, lakes or ponds or a private distribution system (mains water that is privately distributed by a second party) – this is a private water supply.

The supply may serve just one property or several properties through a network of pipes.

If your supply serves others, for example other domestic premises, renting out holiday accommodation or to commercial premises with employees or food production, it is your responsibility to ensure the water is wholesome and does not post a risk to human health.

For more information on private water supplies and responsibilities, you can read our FAQs here.

We maintain a public register on all private water supplies and your supply must be registered with us.  If you supply water to others, you will need a regular risk assessment to be carried out.  

You can find out more information on the private water supply procedures here.

Private water supply charges can be found here.

For further information, or to request a risk assessment please complete an online form available on our forms page.

More information on the Private Water Supplies Regulations 2016/ Private Water Supplies (amendment) Regulations 2018 can be found on the Drinking Water Inspectorate website.

Contact us - Environmental Protection

01235 422403
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Vale of White Horse District Council
Environmental Protection Team
Abbey House
Abbey Close
OX14 3JE