Skip to content

How to stay legal if you pay someone to get rid of rubbish

By law, you are responsible for your rubbish, even if you pay someone else to take it away.

If you pay someone to remove rubbish from your property and it’s then fly-tipped (dumped on land rather than properly disposed of) you could be fined or prosecuted.

To stay legal, follow the SCRAP code:

  • Suspect all waste carriers.
  • Check the Environment Agency website or via 03708 506 506 that the provider taking waste away is licensed.
  • Refuse unexpected offers to have waste taken away.
  • Ask what will happen to your waste.
  • Paperwork should be obtained – such as a detailed invoice, waste transfer note or full receipt.

It is also good to keep a note of the make, colour and registration number of the vehicle that’s taking your rubbish away.

For more information about removing other waste please visit our bulky waste and dangerous waste pages.

Information for businesses and traders

If you are looking to have commercial/trade waste removed, please visit Oxfordshire County Council’s website for details on how to responsibly dispose of business and commercial waste.

You must register as a waste carrier, if your business does any of the following:

  • transports waste (a carrier)
  • buys, sells or disposes of waste (a dealer)
  • arranges for someone else to buy, sell or dispose of waste (a broker)

You can get an unlimited fine if you do not register.

Contact us - Envirocrime

01235 422146
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)