Personal licence for selling alcohol

Each time a licensed premises sells alcohol the sale must be authorised by someone who holds a Personal Licence.

You will need a Personal Licence:

Apply for a Personal Licence

You can only apply for a Personal Licence if you are over the age of 18 and you hold a Level 2 Award for Personal Licence.

To apply for a Personal Licence, you need to provide all of the following:

  • a completed personal licence application form
  • two passport photos – one of which must be signed by a third party to verify that you are the person in the photo. This should be done by a solicitor, notary, person of standing in the community, or any individual with a professional qualification.
  • proof that you hold a Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders qualification – to see the awarding bodies please visit Accredited personal licence qualification providers.
  • your Criminal Record Certificate. Please note that we must see the original certificate and that it must be dated no earlier than one month prior to your application.
  • the application fee of £37.

Please send all of the above to Licensing Team, Vale of White Horse District Council, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Milton, OX14 4SB.

What happens next

Once we have all your completed forms, and the information requested above, if there are no issues we aim to process your application within ten working days.

If Thames Valley Police object to the granting of your licence, we will arrange a hearing to decide your application.

Once we have issued your licence it remains valid indefinitely and means that you can authorise sale of alcohol at any premises licensed under the Licensing Act 2003

If you change your name or address you will need to request a change to your licence (see below).

Request a change to your personal licence

If you wish to change your personal license, such as updating your photo or changing your address, please email the Licensing team using the contact details below.

You must send this to the council that issued your licence and also enclose your existing licence, a fee of £10.50, plus a new passport sized photograph if a new badge is required.

Contact us - Licensing

Phone icon

01235 422556
(Text phone users add 18001 before dialing)

Address icon

Vale of White Horse District Council
135 Eastern Avenue
Milton Park
OX14 4SB